Looking for new rock fishing platforms

krause

Hi guys,

Im a keen rock hopper, and am looking for some new spots to explore. Im chasing spots with acess to deep water, where ill have a chance at some decent pelagics. Im sydney based, and have fished Avoca, Mt Tomaree, Snapper point and Wybung Head. I like Tomeree, and have had sucess there, but its a mission (if youve fished there then you know what I mean!), I find Avoca over crowded with too little caught amoungst so many, and my car was broken into at Snapper Point (As i side note, dont fish there, aparrently theft is common).

I know that at this time of year im really limited to salmon and tailor, and mabey the odd snapper, but in the warmer months, i'd look at chasing the kingies, as well as some small tuna (whether or not i get them to the rocks is another thing entirely!). So any platforms that could provide a chance to encounter anything like this would be awesome. If you know any spots like these, that would be around, or under, 3-4 hours travel, give them a shout. So any where between Port Stephens and Jervis bay. I dont know of much south of Sydney, but what about the northern beaches? And if you could, any further details like terain, near by facilities, swell limits and behavours, platform height (in regards to the high tide mark), even the small things like the availability of instaled PVC rod holders or any other information would be awesome as well! Or tales of sucess or near misses, and the techniques that saw it happen!!!

Cheers guys

Yer, it is,in the right season and condition. I dont have the gear to play with them, and have never tried, but seen some good hook ups to tuna in my last three trips, none were landed though. The rock self itself is a pain, as is the climb there. If youve never been there before then definantley do it during the day! It can be a bit hairy for those with out a good sense of balance, especially in the wet. Over all i enjoy the spot. Ive always had good luck with tailor and salmon, and there are always some small snapper to be found. Im waiting for summer, then ill chase the kingies, Ive never tried them there, see how ill go....?

When you say breakwall where exxactly do you mean? Nelson bay or stockton? Interesting that the self doesnt produce kings, thought it would, fair enough though. Where exactly in sydney/cc would you recomend for land based fishing if i waas to chase kings as it warmed up? Because people say "central coast", but from there ive got no idea where to go...? Any further info would be awesome. Cheers boys

Matt83, I would have never thought you would find a kingie at nelson bay? There you go, ill give that a shot in summer for something different.

And Novice fisherman, Ive been to blue fin only once. Didnt find much, a few small bonito and such. It is a bit of a mission to get there. And even in saying this, im not sure i made it to the right spot. Does any one know the actual path/spot/dirrections? I followed the fence of the water treatment plant, then went down the cliff on a warn path that was on the pinicle of the point. However, i could find no way to the ''ocean'' facing rockselves....? I ended up fishing the north facing selfs in the seltered bay near the ruble beach. Is this the spot?, or can you get round to the eastern facing rock? If any locals stuble onto this, then any aditional info would be awesome

I fish off a spot called snapper point down on the south coast off a town called kioloa. Is this the same place you've been broken into? I know theres another spot that shares the name. It's a few hours south of sydney but might be worth the drive down. Jervis Bay offers some great fishing too, being a rock fishing I'm sure you've heard of it, but if not check out 'the tubes'. Another great spot round the Jervis Bay headland is Mermaid's Inlet. Haven't been there personally myself but a few of my mates are always down that way and are constantly sending me pictures of great shark and pelagics they pick up down that way.

Haha, no the snapper point i was broken into at is 2 north of sydney, so deffinately a different spot. However i cant find your snapper point on the map? And as for the tubes, this has interested me for a while. Ive had a look, but cant quite seem to find the exact pion that is "the tubes". Any info on this would be awesome, and is i a marine park/no fishing area?