Mercury in gem fish

carpet

Well I didn't think it stood out, but generally long-lived fish (including gemfish) that prey on others their whole life accumulate and bioconcentrate their mercury levels e.g. sharks, rays, swordfish, tuna etc.

Edited by nbdshroom

Do people know that theres a lot of mercury in gem fish.

"a lot" is a broad term. As stated most predatory fish contain some amount of heavy metals but considering it's still sold through markets I expect the levels aren't of concern. I would expect no more dangerous than the levels of pesticide in fruit and vege or in our meat supplies.

Had a read few years back about there mercury content in the gem fish but i also read up on other species and i think the morwong was very high in mercury more so than gem fish?

In saying that i target them only once a season and enjoy there delicate fillets,can,t wait to bring some home soon.

Sure will be nice to hear other raider opinions?

Chris.

I thought tuna was better than the rest (shark, billfish, gems, marlin, etc) can we get clarification on tuna?

On the same note I was told that canned tuna is good as they generally pack the smaller ones in cans, but maybe the big blufins might be an issue? Clarification please

I thought tuna was better than the rest (shark, billfish, gems, marlin, etc) can we get clarification on tuna?

On the same note I was told that canned tuna is good as they generally pack the smaller ones in cans, but maybe the big blufins might be an issue? Clarification please

Tuna (up to 0.7ppm but usually at about half this) is the better choice over stuff like sharks and swordfish (both at nearly 1ppm). Among tuna, the levels of mercury vary. Bluefins are slower growing than other tuna, and generally the older the fish, the more time mercury has to accumulate in that fish. To answer your question, they generally utilise smaller fast growing tunas in the cans resulting in lower levels.

Edited by nbdshroom

Just don't eat fish so often and you'll be fine. Mercury from fish outside, dioxins from fish in the harbour. Syringes in fish in upper reaches of rivers. We're practically doomed anyway.

Edited by SargeRX8

To be broad, a multitude of problems but the main concerns include brain damage and organ failure (kidney, lungs etc.). This depends on the exposure and type (elemental, salt or organic). The mercury interferes with a trace essential element (selenium) which is present in enzymes that help to restore the antioxidant properties (i.e. reduction) of antioxidants (e.g. vit C) that prevent oxidation (i.e. damage) inside cells. Once you take that out, oxidative damage can occur over time without a means of reversal and as oxygen use is the highest in the brain, then basically your brain and its function erodes away over time! There are a number of diseases brought on by increased mercury poisoning which pretty much lump together the symptoms if I am not mistaken.

To be broad, a multitude of problems but the main concerns include brain damage and organ failure (kidney, lungs etc.). This depends on the exposure and type (elemental, salt or organic). The mercury interferes with a trace essential element (selenium) which is present in enzymes that help to restore the antioxidant properties (i.e. reduction) of antioxidants (e.g. vit C) that prevent oxidation (i.e. damage) inside cells. Once you take that out, oxidative damage can occur over time without a means of reversal and as oxygen use is the highest in the brain, then basically your brain and its function erodes away over time! There are a number of diseases brought on by increased mercury poisoning which pretty much lump together the symptoms if I am not mistaken.

I'll take your word Pete! Mercury in fish, will cause problems but you need to catch em before you can eat em! Lol

Haven't seen a report for a while big fella???

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'll take your word Pete! Mercury in fish, will cause problems but you need to catch em before you can eat em! Lol

Haven't seen a report for a while big fella???

Cheers scratchie!!!

Haha, cheers for the vote of confidence Jeff! Plus, that is a very wise, Confucious-like statement! I've put in two reports the last few days haha.

Out of curiosity has anyone known off someone getting sick or dieing from mercury from fish.

Ive heard a lot about mercury in fish but never heard about anyone getting sick from it.

if so what are the symptoms.

Minimata in Japan is the most extreme example of mercury poisoning. read more here.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease