Blade lures , worth the money?

Geoff

I have a small collection of luers & thinking of purchasing one or two blade luers .

Are they worth it or just a variation or option to other hard body styles.

Has any one done a result comparision between blades & other designs. Are they better to other hard bodies ?.

What are the best colours for flathead or bream ?

Geoff

Blades/vibes are worth it. Their niche is fishing in deep waters where floating/suspending hard bodies cannot reach or where you need to get down deep quickly e.g. against pylons. They are different to HBs because they vibrate in a tight action when lifted up the water column and give off a metallic flash. The vibrations are attractive to fish. Flathead don't seem to mind much lure and colour-wise, but darker colours (e.g. blacks, reds and purples) are preferred by jew.

Edited by nbdshroom

Thanks guys , I'm heading to the tackle store shortly & will check out your suggestions.

nbdshroom. You have also answered another question I've been meaning to ask , a suitable lure for fishing deeper water , 20 - 50 mt for flatties.

Being heavy , sounds like blades would be well worth a try

Geoff

Glad to be of help. If fishing deep water like the depth you have suggested. I would think colour plays a less important factor as after several metres, the reds, oranges and yellows from the sunlight are quickly absorbed and cannot penetrate any further. Only the blues, greens and purples prevail at deeper depths.

Blades are gun lures if you use them in the right situation. You'll catch a lot of fish on them once you figure them out. As previously stated, ecogear vx 40's are fantastic. I also love my TT ghost blades and switches. Sebile flat shads aren't bad as well! A great way to put together a mixed bag! Real simple to use Aswell. A slow lift and drop will do the trick. Well worth the money.

Cheers, Tom

A mate of mine who has done very well in bream tournies uses

only blades in those comps.

I've fished the Harbour a few times with him & was amazed at what we caught.

I have never seen so many 40cm plus whiting caught along with big bream, flatties

& just about everything else.

You know they work when a 20 fish session is considered as a slow day.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks for all the replies. Blades are now definatly on the shopping list.

nbdshroom. Tks for the colour tip , "Only the blues, greens and purples prevail at deeper depths."

Went to two tackle stores this arvo , one only had what I would call el cheapo (junk) & the other had about 10 pegs for assorted Strikepro size & colour & not one luer in stock.

Spoke with the sales guy who will chase up further supplies.

Could not find Ecogear at either store.

There is no shortage of online tackle stores who sell these luers but I would prefer to go to a tackle store to make a selection. Just a matter of finding one with out traveling all over Sydney.

Geoff

Blades and vibes are not the same Blades are usually metal and sometimes polycarbonate with a slim profile and vibes are plastic like a HB with internal rattles such as cranka vibes or bassday kangoku vibes The TT switchblade in golden boy is also an outstanding lure and you can add luderick to the list as well Ive caught a few on the vx35 in colour 445 Too many to be an incidental catch

Another is the ecogear zx blades they work extremely well on shallower flats

Edited by The Iceman

Spot on Iceman.

Metal blades such as the vx 35 & strikepro 35's are the way to go to start with.

When you gain confidence & knowledge in the techniques there are heaps of options

for various situations.

Geoff, I have no doubts that they will be a worthwhile addition to your tackle box.

Cheers,

Grant.

taking the topic a step to the side,

anyone know any blades larger light blades? id like a bigger profile without a sink rate of a brick and retain casting distance for flatties on shallow banks.

by the way i like the cheap ones tend to hang up in the air more than the highly regarded brands. TTs for me.

And keep going, jewfish, whiting, trevally...

Redfin, trout, and bass will also willingly take blades. TT's and Strikepro are the 2 brands that I use predominately, although Jaz, Buschy's, Koolabung and Egogear have all spent time in the tackle box. A welcome addition to your tackle collection I reckon Geoff.

Cheers

Hodgey

Don't forget to add yellow belly, barramundi and sooty grunter! The new Berkeley power blades are probably one to keep an eye out for as well. They were the winning lure for this years BETS grand final I'm fairly sure. They look the goods!

My concern with bladed is at nearly 20 a pop I'm paranoid to use it. Ive used them in deeper waters caught tailor yakka and slimies on them. Never cracked a bream on one mainly because too scared of putting it out in their habitats. Ill use my plastics for bream and shalloe and my blades for the deeps. Ive got tt and eco gear. Some people suggest going two single hooks over trebles.

Should also look at the new berkely UV blades when they come out :thumbup:

In surfing around the web to try & find the difference between the current range & the new UV.

From what I can see the new range is basically the use of UV paint & perhaps some different colours.

The actual shapes appear to be very similar.

Have I missed something ??

Geoff

My concern with bladed is at nearly $20 a pop I'm paranoid to use it. Never cracked a bream on one mainly because too scared of putting it out in their habitats.

Sarge I have a similar concern using them over reef.

I'll start in sandy arears & depending on the results will progress from there.

Fishing outside in 30 - 50 mt's with a reasonable drift , getting the lure to the bottom may be a problem.

I'm thinking of a rig , sinker on the bottom & about a meter or two up a dropper , perhaps 1 - 2 mt long to which the lure would be attached.

I'm not sure now this effect the lure action so will need to do some testing.

If it works , the same rig over a rough botton using a lightline , say 4 - 5 lb to the sinker then if the sinker becomes snagged the line should break & hopefully retreive the lure before it sinks to the bottom.

Geoff

Something tells me the sinker on the bottom might affect the action of the lure. If you watch a blade in the shallow water it alternates left and right at pretty high frequency. I just bought 4 new pieces for $10 a pop for the TT range. Good sale on now in on of the bigger tackle shops.