NSW Landbased Tuna

alluring

This summer I'm interested in trying for some land based tuna. I believe this restricts me to maybe mack, stripies and maybe the odd longtail or yellowfin while in NSW correct?

My heaviest setup currently is a 50lb stickbait rod with a 65lb eggbeater reel on it. Around 250m of 50lb braid and 60lb leader on it at the moment. No good for LBG like marlin, but more along the lines of kingies, midsize tunas, and maybe the odd shark.

While I know of the Tubes and the rest of the fishable beecroft peninsula at Jervis bay, (I do plan to check it out) I'm fully aware of the crowds of serious anglers and probable hostile locals that would be around when the fishing picks up. I reckon I'd get in their way being relatively new to the sport, so I was wondering if there are any other patches of headland on the NSW coast that are worth trying for my target species.

I've also heard Eden is good, has anybody got some pointers down that way? I'm Canberra based, and pretty familiar with most of the areas of headland between Jervis down to merimbula.

So yeah basically after some lighter land based game locations or advice! Any places other than the tubes that are worth checking out? Or am I wasting my time? Fallen in love with spinning for tailer salmon and bonito off the rocks this last year and want to take my first step towards something bigger!

Cheers

Mate south coast LB tuna fishing means a long time between drinks, obviously the holy grail in that part of the world is a big 'fin but you don't hear of many LB captures these days, better off targeting kings if you want to fish the south coast. If you're set on fishing for tuna better off trying the north coast during autumn, you can often spin up good number of mac Ts with the odd LT if you put in the time.

Cheers Pat that's the sort of answer I'm kinda after! I'm definitely keen to give it a go but wasn't sure about the locations. Looks like a trip north is on the cards then. Although I'll still give jervis a go before then. I've tried for kingies this winter but it's been really slow and only seen them once.. So yeah been thinking of trying out some new stuff when the weather warms up!

65lb drag? Just curious, what reel have you got?

I think it's around 27-30kg drag from the reviews I've read. It's a Fin-Nor Offshore OFS9500, I'm not certain exactly how the specs work out but I know it's the best eggbeater they have in that range. Can take plenty of line and easily handles tunas at least I believe. Pretty solid stuff :)

Edited by alluring

What about green cape?

Just had a quick google, south of Eden is it? How does it fish? Wouldn't be as packed as jervis would it! I'd be super keen to check it out if there's any info I could grab off you :)

Edited by alluring

Just had a quick google, south of Eden is it? How does it fish? Wouldn't be as packed as jervis would it! I'd be super keen to check it out if there's any info I could grab off you :)

Its one of the hottest spots for LBG fishers and yellowfin are an option as well as southern bluefin

Sounds great I've always vaguely heard people talk about Eden but never heard of that spot so that's great!! Thanks heaps I'll definitely be sussing it out When I get some time off :)

Pretty sure its called The Pulpit

I have fished green cape many times, last time I was there there were stripies busting up as far as you could see between Milwarrie and the cape. Each time I threw something in the water a stripe jumped up on it. The last one I caught that day was coming in then suddenly had a massive amount of weight on it... The weight then came off and I bought out in and it had a hole behind the gills and a dent under it... I was told later by a game fisho that it was a characteristic Marlin hit. There are fish there and they are big.

I have fished green cape many times, last time I was there there were stripies busting up as far as you could see between Milwarrie and the cape. Each time I threw something in the water a stripe jumped up on it. The last one I caught that day was coming in then suddenly had a massive amount of weight on it... The weight then came off and I bought out in and it had a hole behind the gills and a dent under it... I was told later by a game fisho that it was a characteristic Marlin hit. There are fish there and they are big.

Trout stalker, mind if I ask what time of year it was when the stripies where thick like that?

This is sounding so cool, I'm actually super keen to head down that way when the weather warms up. How high are the ledges there? I have a pretty long gaff, but it couldnt be more than maybe 1.5-2m.. Might need to invest in a rope gaff.. If anybody's heading down in the summer and wouldn't mind showing me and maybe my mate the ropes that would actually be incredible. Feel free to give me a buzz ;)

Trout stalker, mind if I ask what time of year it was when the stripies where thick like that?

To be honest I can't exactly remember but we were near the end of the kingie season so I am guessing around April/May. Also not long after I was fishing around the tower at Milwarrie about 200-300 metres offshore and there were bluefin chasing bait fish everywhere. Me and a mate managed to hook up to 2 each but once again they were busting up all around the bay, It is a very freakish place as the currents run down the coast and hits the point and runs around further south. The bait fish gather around there which brings in all sorts of awesome fish. At any given time of year you will find kings, yellowfin, bluefin, marlin and stripies. The reefs around there also hold good snapper and mowies so you will generally find something decent to get on the end of your line.

This is sounding so cool, I'm actually super keen to head down that way when the weather warms up. How high are the ledges there? I have a pretty long gaff, but it couldnt be more than maybe 1.5-2m.. Might need to invest in a rope gaff.. If anybody's heading down in the summer and wouldn't mind showing me and maybe my mate the ropes that would actually be incredible. Feel free to give me a buzz ;)

To be honest I have never fished the rocks there but I have seen people doing it and pulling nice kings. The ledges look pretty high perhaps 3+ metres.