anyone still catching bonito / when do they come in again?

rikkigilbey

Hi Gilbey,

I am somewhat obsessed with spinning for them off the rocks, and in my experience I have found that to some extent they are actually present almost all year round. Very very slow in the 2nd half of the year until the water starts warming up again.

If you are spinning I would dare say the summer month are the best (never caught them on lure May-Nov), but if you are using bait like I said I have caught them in winter. I usually fish for them from Bass Point or Port Kembla but from next week I will be full time living in Sydney so need to get my way around the Sydney fishing spots.

The issue I have found with Bass Point is that it gets very crowded during summer. It is never empty and there are hoards of ppl all over it. You have to be a good aim.

the locals are friendly though so its not as bad...its the tourists that usually dish up the agro.

In terms of fish I saw buckets loads of bonnies and frigates being pulled out around December

I also saw a bucket load getting pulled out by one dude at Port Break wall.

Right place and right time! Plus some level of skill....otherwise I would have a heap under my belt....

Port is good in summer as you can get a lot of fish and there is a mountain of space.

I plan on using some annual leave and ado there this summer

I was kayaking yesterday at Bass Point with my mate, he was spearfishing. We saw large flocks of birds sitting on the water, we headed towards them. Surprisingly my mate spotted Salmon and Bonitos under the birds. He managed to spear one Bonito. Yes, a bonito in winter.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk HD

Hi Gilbey,

I am somewhat obsessed with spinning for them off the rocks, and in my experience I have found that to some extent they are actually present almost all year round. Very very slow in the 2nd half of the year until the water starts warming up again.

If you are spinning I would dare say the summer month are the best (never caught them on lure May-Nov), but if you are using bait like I said I have caught them in winter. I usually fish for them from Bass Point or Port Kembla but from next week I will be full time living in Sydney so need to get my way around the Sydney fishing spots.

Dude, If you want to, send us a pm, I have a few a couple spots that I have been getting them from but would like to find somewhere more consistent, if you wana join forces to seek out places/I can show you mine im all for it.

Gilbs

Edited by gilbey