Easy access fishing in Eden

pomey_git

Hi guys,

Just a quick one. Does any one know any easy access spots for live baiting and flicking sp's around Eden?

Im finnaly off my crutches but a bit wobbley and we will have the new born in tow :) So off roading and climbing are a bit of a no no for a few more months.

First time wetting a line in the brine for about 10 weeks. So excited!

The navy wharf is the go to spot, it is easy access and fishing is allowed there as long as there is no military ship ported there. You can catch everything there from bream to kings. Water might be a boot cold for kings but there will still be a nice supply of salmon, bream, flatties, stripes and you might even get a surprise bluefin or albacore. Eden is very much a freaky fishing location.

The navy wharf is the go to spot, it is easy access and fishing is allowed there as long as there is no military ship ported there. You can catch everything there from bream to kings. Water might be a boot cold for kings but there will still be a nice supply of salmon, bream, flatties, stripes and you might even get a surprise bluefin or albacore. Eden is very much a freaky fishing location.

I'm going to jump in here - tuna off a wharf?? How do I get to this place? ;) any more info about it would be sick :-)

Go past Eden on the Princes highway and turn left down Edrom rd. follow it almost all the way to the end and take a left before you hit the mill. If you look on google maps you will actually see a navy vessel ported there.
Another place where tuna get to occasionally off a wharf is Tathra wharf. Tathra is generally much more crowded though. I have caught mack tuna off here and seen a fellow pull in a nice blue fin once also. Tathra is another freakish place.

Luc.

Oh that's nuts, I've fished Tathra wharf plenty of times over the last few summers, and the wharf at the Merimbula aquarium too.. Never knew they got larger pelagics off there.. Only ever seen Salmon and Tailor and possibly Bonito too. But that's mad I'll definitely head down there sometime.

Yeah Merimbula wharf is a cracker, I actually prefer it over tathra. The area you're talking about is that weedy/rocky outcrop on the left side hey? I'm usually only ever down that way in the summer when the family goes down and stays there - in the winter I stick further north cause it's a closer drive from home. Such a nice area of coastline though, it was down on that wharf I was first introduced to/began fishing for salmon :) Sorry gone a bit off topic..

Yep, on a 45 degree angle off the far left side there is a nice weed bed down there among the stones within casting distance. The other good spot on that wharf is about 4-5 metres from the right side straight out. Let the jig go down as far as you dare and work it. Careful though, if you hit the bottom chances are you will lose your jig.

I would love to join you guys but unfortunately I do not live down there anymore. Good luck.

Luc.

A couple of the main techniques I would use are flicking out little white steel lures on a small snap swivel as far as I could, letting them sink near the bottom and retrieving them quite quickly. This will catch you salmon, if you retrieve it at a slower pace you will get slimy macks (which make awesome live baits).

Live baiting is also another proven technique down there. At this time of year you will catch salmon in Merimbula but down Eden you may even hook onto a stray tuna. Unfortunately there will probably be no kings due to the cold water but if you hook onto something with a livey you will soon know about it hehehe.

Off one of the many beaches down there using a paternoster rig with a ganged pilly or fresh squid will get you onto more salmon, one of the elusive jews if near one of the estuaries or perhaps even a nice gummy (which there are quite a few off main beach in merimbula heading towards Pambula. The best access if you have a 4x4 is just across from the airport, you will see a little track which you can drive pretty much right to the sand (but don't try it if you only have access to a 2 wheel drive as there a couple of gnarly bits and soft sand in there). You can however trek into there from the road and it isn't too far. It would probably take you about 30-40 minutes to trek in.

You can also use a smaller rig with a running sinker to a swivel and a 30-40cm leader running down to a smaller hook for bream and whiting. If you choose this rig go to tackle world in Merimbula where you can purchase live beach worms. They are absolutely killer and get smashed very quickly as there is a good supply of beach worms around this area (the pros get all of their beach worms from that area).

All of these techniques will work for you it just depends on what you would like to target.

Hope this helps and you get onto a few.

Luc.

P.S

If you go fishing off Merimbula wharf do NOT use a paternoster rig. It is all rocky bottom as far as you can cast and you will consistently lose every offering you throw in the water due to it snagging up.

Edited by Trout Stalker