Hairtail from Cowan - 16/08

quintrex480

Hi Raiders,

Just returned back from a trip to Cowan on a 3 boat convoy, had a big can of V on the way home and now I can't fall asleep so what else am I supposed to do? that's right, put up a report on how we went.

Got to the ramp at 5:30pm, to see Formosan and co, and Basil (Groper) and Chris (Pongrass) already waiting with their boats. Had a quick intro and got the boats into the water, waited around for my deckie to only find out he piked on me last minute, so a solo session it is. But the good thing about that is, I get to use all the rods to myself LOL.

Started off slow, I couldn't get a yakka if my life depended on it, but soon enough I finally got one, got 2 fillets and whacked them on. Get hit straight away, and pulled in the hairy, then for the next couple of hours I was getting bite after bite, managed to pull in 8 hairys and a nice flattie, and missed half a dozen hairy hits as well. Managed a couple of soapies as well, and one of them took a tiny piece of pillie on my sabiki jig which was meant for a yakka LOL.

I think the other guys did pretty well themselves. Hairy season is still in, so go out there and get them =).

post-16665-0-51552800-1376669550_thumb.jpg

Got a text from Tone formasan about a hairy session in cowen creek and I jumped at the chance to go, My son spinner7 and wife mrs Groper were both keen to go. so we would have four in the boat, In the end :wife: felt crook, Christo had the maths Tudor over, his got his HSC this year but was so pissed off.

Chris met me at my place and towed my boat with his vehicle and met the Boys at the ramp and we were off.

found the going very slow and the yellow tail very hard to get, never ever in my life Ive hard to change tactics to get them, chris SAYS I will get them hahahahahaha.

anyways we got a few but found the Hail tail wernt really going for them late in the night.

Tony (formason ) comes around and asks How we are going and we only had one Hail tail at the time, Tony had the snagS going and asks if want some sausages on a roll with bbq sauce, yummo, I also asked how his getting his yellow tail and if he had small hooks, anyway Tony passes two rolls over in a bag, I Gave one sausage roll to Chris and tucked into mine straight away, as Tony was Driving his boat away he says the Sabiki Hooks are in the bag, too late, I had sausage on a roll with sabiki ouch hooked perfect in the corner of my mouth, couldnt have been a better hook up :074: you can hear the all the boats around us cracking up.

I must admit I found the Haitail very challenging to catch, they soooo finicky ,

Quintrex left before all of us and Donated two hairtail we only had one but managed the Night with 16 :clapping:

Chris managed to work out the hairtail very quickly and bagged out and started slapping with with the fish each time he caught one.

I ended catching a couple and was stoked, Monkey of my back.

Chris caught another and dropped it in the boat and started Jumping and dancing around :074: so pick it up and slapped him with it :bleh:

Chris brought his fish clubber with him and the plan was to catch the big models to club them with :074:

I ended up working out why Chris was so successful but by that time they were extremely finicky for me but chris managed them just fine.

we left very early in the morning, man time flys when your having fun, got home 5.35 am got to sleep 6am, got up 11am and spent two hours washing the boat.

Thanks to saan (Quintrex) and Tony (Formason) it was a fantastic nigh, I hope I made your night with the sausage roll with sabiki hooks in it.

IMG_6765_zpsf5a32ac6.jpg

IMG_6762_zpse4f6369b.jpg

IMG_6760_zps77ddc133.jpg

IMG_6767_zps2cb70fbf.jpg

Damn now I'm Spewwing I couldn't make it :(

so are the other KFC boys LOL, next time buddy!

You did very well with no deckies. Was a good night, Since we haven't been Hairtailing for a while. Good to meet Groper and Chris too.

just lucky I didn't get onto any monsters, trying to handle the rod and netting big hairies usually don't work out too well by yourself.

Good stuff, nice catch you got. Congrats mate..

Good to see plenty still around.... :clapping:

thanks Ray, yeah still plenty around, but unfortunately most of them weren't that big. The big ones taste so much better as they are full of so much more oil.

What time did u land the soapies? And great report!

Got the soapies around 9 I believe, and thanks.

Well done some good hairys there !!

thanks mate

great catch , there a crazy looking fish :)

they are but top eating =)

Awesome catch guys

thanks buddy

See it doesn't matter that you have no friends with a haul like that. Good effort!

HAHAHhAhA, you would not believe how many guys turned me down during the week, then I had to scrap the bottom of the barrel and ask a guy that has never touched a rod ever before in his life, and in the end, he even turned me down. LOL

Great to be on the Hawkesbury with awesome company.

Awesome to see hairtail for our first attempt,now to cook up a hard earned feast :1clap:

Chris.

yeah nice to finally meet a couple of legend fishos.

Nice work boys

thanks Luke

Edited by quintrex480