Crunchy roasted whiting

adkel53

This recipe is per chef Neil Perry and was in the SMH recently. I made it tonight from a couple of nice whiting (36 and 34 cm) that I caught in the Georges River on Friday. It was delicious and would also be good with any white fish fillets.- flathead, bream, snapper, blackfish, drummer and trevally to mention a few that I reckon would be suitable.

Crunchy roasted whiting with fennel salad

whiting fillets

1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs

2 tspn ground fennel ( i ground whole seeds in a motar and pestel)

1 tspn chopped fresh dill

2 tspns extra virgin olive oil

dijon mustard

salt and pepper

Fillet and de-bone the fish. Skin them if you wish.

Heat oven to 120 degrees C and cook the bread crumbs on a tray until just coloured (not browned). Remove and allow to cool.

Turn the oven up to 200 degrees C

Mix the breadcrumbs, fennel and dill together in bowl. Mix in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Coat the fillets with a thin layer of dijon mustard and then coat them with the crumb mix. Place presentation side up on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cook in the oven until done - 5-6 minutes for thin fillets like whiting.

Place some fennel salad (see below) on your serving plates and serve the fish sitting on top of it and with some lemon or lime wedges.

A crunchy coleslaw or green salad on the side goes well with this dish.

For the fennel salad, finely slice a fennel bulb (use a mandolin if you have one), sprinkle with sea salt and squeeze the juice of a lemon or two over the top. Leave to marinate for about 10 minutes, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and grind some pepper over the top.

• 3 weeks later...