Headlamps - Night Fishing

Belligero

Hi All,

Wondering what equipment you guys would use while night fishing? I am thinking about a led head lamp however not too sure on what brand to go towards.

I have a LED Lenser flashlight I use for hunting however I'm not sure if their headlamps are any good. Looking for something with more wide spread light rather then just a strong bright focus point.

Also thinking about either kero lanterns or battery powered?

Hope you can lead me in the right direction!

Cheers

I would stick with the Led Lensor. We used one on Friday night and it was awesome, probably the best one on the market. They are having a sale on them at the moment in a few places. One shop is even giving a free Led Lensor flash light as well.

I second the H14R!!!

The best headlamp out on the market I believe. You can pick them up now for around $130 from authorized re sellers.

Make sure you get the rechargeable one.

One charge lasts a good 4 hours on max power, or you use the energy saving mode, or dim mode and get at least twice that!

Ive have a Petzl Tikka or something like that its called for about 9 years now. Takes 3 AAA's, has 3 different light brightness settings, is LED and is light weight. I have kept it on the boat all this time and it always works well and has lasted until now no rust or any problems at all.

Edited by Roylo

I second the H14R!!!

The best headlamp out on the market I believe. You can pick them up now for around $130 from authorized re sellers.

Make sure you get the rechargeable one. 

One charge lasts a good 4 hours on max power, or you use the energy saving mode, or dim mode and get at least twice that!

I think "r" in H14R stands for rechargeable

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Petzl Nao, best one on the market at the moment.

Has anyone used both the Led Lenser H14R and Petzl Nao to have a comparison of brightness, range, functionality, user friendliness, comfort and battery life?

I have been very impressed with my Petzl Myo 3 for 10 years and it has served me well but the battery cord has become unpleasantly temperamental. I have looked up both the Nao and Led Lensor and they both look good but with these things I reckon it is too hard to know what is best in real life circumstances. I fish boat and beach. I currently have a black diamond which is ok, not sure the model but it has multiple setting LEDs and is the 90 Lumen model.

Hi Mate,

I use a LED Lenser in the H7 model, i bought this one becuase its not rechargeable. I wont have any way to charge it if im out so opted for the battery model.

Either way cant go wrong with LED Lenser

The Led lenser h14r takes 4 AA batteries so you can just take back up batteries

The Led lenser h14r takes 4 AA batteries so you can just take back up batteries

yep, just to clarify, the rechargeable batteries are actually 4AA batteries, so swapping them out is a cinch.

another thing it also has are different modes, like SOS flash mode, just in case you ever run into any strife and you need to signal planes searching for you :D

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Wondering what equipment you guys would use while night fishing? I am thinking about a led head lamp however not too sure on what brand to go towards.

I have a LED Lenser flashlight I use for hunting however I'm not sure if their headlamps are any good. Looking for something with more wide spread light rather then just a strong bright focus point.

Also thinking about either kero lanterns or battery powered?

Hope you can lead me in the right direction!

Cheers

My vote goes to the led lenser also.

When I use to fish nights from the shore I used a small 2kg gasbottle with a gasmate camping light attached as a main light in conjunction with my head lamp.

I have a coleman rechargeable lantern also but it doesn't come close in light intensity compared to the gas lantern.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I have used the Led Lenser H7 and found it brilliant and bright. I however decided to buy the Blackdiamond Storm as it was somewhat water proof and I was planning to and done a lot of night fishing out of a kayak. Both are great in my opinion, I like having the red mode as I feel it is less intense, and less likely to scare the fish away, but I do not have any evidence to back up the statement. If I were to buy a new headlamp I would probably get the Led Lenser in recharge as it makes it a lot easier and cheaper then constantly purchasing batteries.

I have also used cheap headlamps, they do the job and your gut doesn't churn if you get them wet or drop them. They are however by no means as bright, and do tend to not be quality. They do however illuminate enough to do basic things like find a beer in an esky, set up camp or even tie a silm beauty.

Quality is one thing, but For fishing we don't need the top of the range bright headlamp. Your better off with a dull light just enough to tie knots and rigs. Bright lights wreck your night vision and blind your fishing partner or people around you. We only need to see close up with a wide beam.

I use a basic petzl tikka 2 on low setting. Suits my needs perfect and they don't stuff up.

Well there are headlamps with brightness modes, and just because something is top of the range doesn't mean it will be high lumens.

If you want to preserve night vision a red light is best.

Edited by reLapse