Bonito on lures and squid skirts

krause

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. Over the last year, I have used high speed chrome lures to target small to medium pelagics. I have had some good sucess, with bonito especially. I think they are good fun on light gear, with some of the larger fish causing some real chaos! However, I have definately found what chromes work and what dont.... Ive had some simply explode on the cast after extensive use, some cheapies to break in half under the weight of a fish, and some dont hold their colour (turn grey). I stick with the SPANYID range, but upgrade to a single on the back, and add a quality treble to the front as an assist (I find that jumpers like tailor and salmon cant throw the treble when its at the front as they cant get the same leverage over the lure). However, im always interested in experimenting. I heard that drilling small holes in the flanks of the lure produce bubble trails? Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts? And does anyone use/know where to buy SPANYID HP's? Any other ideas?

The second thing I wish to raise is bonito on squid squirts?!?! I have been told that if you attach squid skirts to hooks, place under a float, then cast and retreive, the bonnies go ape s#!t. is this true? has anyone had sucess using this rig? Any info on trace lengths and distance between hooks and such would be greatly appriciated!

Cheers

yeah the last rig is called a tongan rig or coco rig cause they use to use a half coconut shell.very good set seen and caught large numbers of bonnies even good kings.but van be a bit risky wish i had a gopro down bass pt somedays seen flys/skirts going into peoples arms and backs of heads

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

....well its good to hear that it works, not so good to hear that its a minor death trap :blink: I have a 13ft rod, so should be able to cast it without too much hastle, or foul hooking friends?!?!?!?! Might not let the mates try it though, their casting leaves a bit to be desired!!! :1prop:

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Yamashita white squid skirts very successfully on bonito when trolling so can't see why they wouldn't work just as well off the stones. Insert a suitable sized/weighted torpedo shaped sinker into the cavity, tie a single hook on behind (I use an O'Shaughnessy) and wind like crazy!! Bonito love 'em, as do mac tuna and salmon. The pink/purple blue ones should work well too. They all come in four sizes and 7 colours. Check them out here:

-

http://www.ejtodd.com.au/Lures/Skirts/Yamashita_Golden_Bait_Octopus_Skirts_small.html

Kel