"Old" versus "Veteran"

Paikea

In an editorial named "The Elixir of Youth" Jim Harnwell the editor of Fishing World did a pretty good job of describing the value of those of "Veteran Anglers" and others who have reached an age where we may not be as fit looking as Arnold Swartzenneger or nimble as those blokes who risk life and limb rock fishing in crazy places.

Where Jim kinda lost me, and I suspect some other "Veteran Anglers" was when he used terms like "Old Codgers", "Old Guys", "Old Fellas", "Old Salts", and "Elderly Mates".

Speaking for myself I get really pi@#$D off when I read a man or woman who is older than 50 YO described as "Elderly" or "Old". Give us a break, we don't feel old and we sure as hell don't need young whippersnappers reminding us that we may be past our prime in some areas but hey, bet we can beat you at Bowls or Zimmer Frame manoeuvring, or Housie. And when we retire we sure as heck have a lot more time to fish than you young blokes. So there!

Now I am hopeful that there are some other "Veteran" Raiders who my join mi in this post and show these disrespectful people that we are a force to be reckoned with!

Cheers All

Paikea (74 YO, still working)

Mate have you seen Schwarzenegger lately?

Agree with you though, the younger generation will always benefit from the knowledge of their elders. And we'll pass it on to our kids hopefully. ..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk mobile

Guys I was joking, Honest!

Apart from crook knees, irregular ticker, "arthur itus", weak eyes and an inability to programme a DVD I would not want to swap with the fit looking 22 YO shown below in 1963 cleaning a Kingie caught fishing off Kirra Beach in a boat he built himself.

Keep them coming!

Cheers

Paikea

Guys I was joking, Honest!

Apart from crook knees, irregular ticker, "arthur itus", weak eyes and an inability to programme a DVD I would not want to swap with the fit looking 22 YO shown below in 1963 cleaning a Kingie caught fishing off Kirra Beach in a boat he built himself.

Keep them coming!

Cheers

Paikea

To be honest, I was impressed you know how to use a computer, lol.

I was waiting for you to tell the story of the bag of broken biscuits costing a half penny! Haha.

But in all seriousness there are many elder people that demand respect, and they should always be respected. However they sometimes fail to reciprocate that notion.

The only thing I wish is that the old farts would tell me where there good fishing spots are, lol.

With respect,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Paikea, :) funny question you pose. Firstly, age is a measure of time and I think if you measure it, all you do is worry about how old you are getting. I havnt celebrated a bday since my 21st! Hence I dont worry about how old I am or a getting.

But what is old? Something past its use by date? An antique? Something past its prime? A superseded model? The list goes on. Those that are old have the benefit of once being young, the opposite doesn't apply unless you know that you have lived past lives:) Experience is gained in age not youth.

The question could be answered I many ways but im not going to do a thesis on it now. I have worked with a 73yr old on a trap boat and he could put me to shame in some things, yet I have wotked with blokes up to 20yrs younger than me who I put to shame.

Finin, I bow to your wise and insightful words, Scratchie, you clearly have a wicked sense of humour, Sam Bros, true the student will often teach the master and both will be the richer for it.

I started this post as a bit of a joke but I am moved by the sentiments expressed by all.

As to sharing fishing spots, come on, you young guns are streets ahead of us Veterans, what with modern day rods and reels, GPS and Structure Scan you do not need our help to find and catch fish. The posts on this site are living proof of that.

But, I would like to see one of you up and coming fishos take a 12 foot length of Rangoon cane, smooth the nodes, straighten any kinks by heating it then fitting porcelain runners and chase Tailor from Doughboy rock at Kurnell at dawn pelting whole Garfish a country mile to catch them.

Ahh, those were the days! (Except that my first wife sawed halfway through my carefully crafted Rangoon treasure with a breadsaw after an argument. True!)

Finally, am I the only old fart that is prepared to stir the pot on this issue. Surely there must be more of us on this site?

Cheers

Paikea

• 1 month later...

Paikea, :) funny question you pose. Firstly, age is a measure of time and I think if you measure it, all you do is worry about how old you are getting. I havnt celebrated a bday since my 21st! Hence I dont worry about how old I am or a getting.

But what is old? Something past its use by date? An antique? Something past its prime? A superseded model? The list goes on. Those that are old have the benefit of once being young, the opposite doesn't apply unless you know that you have lived past lives:) Experience is gained in age not youth.

The question could be answered I many ways but im not going to do a thesis on it now. I have worked with a 73yr old on a trap boat and he could put me to shame in some things, yet I have wotked with blokes up to 20yrs younger than me who I put to shame.

Old is at law, a relative term.

Lol you get to a stage in life when things are what they are...

- you put on weight more easily

- it's harder to loose that weight

- parts of your body 1) get injured more easily

2) hurt for longer

3) and take longer to heal

- loud music becomes annoying

... Just to name a few, and all this amounts to getting old. Taking it in your stride is the way to go because they havnt found the fountain of eternal youth yet.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...