Atlantic Salmon in Thommos

Jew Stalker

Cracking fish! Although its a brown, one of the variations... as with all fish through age some grow in strange ways, such as some snapper go very dark pink where as i have caught others in the same school which are just silvery brown. And common carp which are deep brown and some which are light gold. Colours aren't the only differences, some fish interbreed and become hybrids which this could be, or maybe you have caught yourself the next step in brown trout evolution?

Now the point of can Atlantic Salmon live in a stocked lake? (i'm not sure if this venue has access to the sea?) Due to a natural instinct I dont think atlantic salmon can live without at some point during a year taking a dip in the deep blue salt, their natural climate would make the fish very uncomfortable in Australia (if you've ever been to Scotland you'd see why!!) I honestly think its an evolved or hybrid brown, but no matter what itsan amazing fish - next time catch it on a fly rod... you'll love it 10 times more than you already do.

Good job buddy!

That one looks like a Brown to me savo, interestingly enough, that Rainbow looks like it came from a small, heavily stocked lake? very rounded tail? Cracking fish though, well done.

Tef1on, not sure about that but I think you might be onto something. The Salmon in Jindy do seem to live on but their condition is normally awful. Very thin, not like the sea runners you see in Europe. Over the many years I have fished Jindy, the Salmon I have either caught or seen seem to fall into two categories:

35 - 40cm and very thin

1m+ stock release mainly from Gaden

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen a Salmon in between those sizes. I have caught loads of the small ones and from the amount of them one would assume that a more solid fish would show up but it never has. I think they just go deep in the lake and stay there.

Interestingly, when I worked at Gaden doing work experience many years ago there was a Salmon that ran the river and was trapped every year (they had a name for it, but I cant remember now). So they do try to spawn.

Windy

Tef1on, not sure about that but I think you might be onto something. The Salmon in Jindy do seem to live on but their condition is normally awful. Very thin, not like the sea runners you see in Europe. Over the many years I have fished Jindy, the Salmon I have either caught or seen seem to fall into two categories:

35 - 40cm and very thin

1m+ stock release mainly from Gaden

Yeah I wasn't sure but I always thought Atlantic Salmon had a need to be in salt water for their mature years? This could be the reason that the ones in Jindy are in bad condition and then inedible.

But man those 1m+ salmon... never landed one myself but the amount of times we hooked into the big lumps in Scotlands loch systems... scares me to think of what my reaction would have been if I would have landed one! On a fly rod they are the gold medal... on a weight 7 rod they are like catching a shark on a kids 5' telescopic pink rod with a plastic reel... what a challenge! I really hope you get as much enjoyment out of them as i used to!

• 1 month later...

Defiantly a brown trout, and a cracking one at that. Atlantic salmon do need to go to the sea to mature. Have been lucky enough to fish in Scotland on many occasions and have landed TRUE Atlantic salmon to 20lbs.

The ones here have all be stocked fish and are unable to breed. They still run the rivers because it's in there genetics. The 1m+ fish that you speak of would have all been raised to that size before being released in the dam. All the salmon released would slowly die. Once the fish move into the fresh water, they stop feeding. And are primarily there to spawn. Hence why they are in terrible condition. Atlantic salmon do in fact have white mouths and you do not get them in NZ as previously thought, they are a completely different species to an Atlantic salmon.

Cheers Grant