Nepean river bass

oz_brett

I've heard (2nd hand) that they have pearly, firm, white flesh... "the best freshwater fish he's had".

..... I guess that depends how far you(ve) travel(led)..

I, for one, can think of at least a few already appetite-whetting freshwater fish... barra, cod, yellas..... digressing tho...

Reports are, yes, bass = good to eat... From Nepean... probably not. :puke:

Let us know how you get on Brett... I'll be having a crack at them in the Nepean on Saturday.

Cheers!!

To be honest bass taste great. I bought one home from lake Lyell once for the missus to try and it was her favourite white fleshed fish she had tried along with snapper. In saying that I have bought home all sorts for her to give a go like kings, trevs, whiting, bream, snapper, gummies and tailor. She has a well developed palette for fish and she thought the bass were awesome. Dunno about the river but I used to swim in it all the time growing up so I don't think it is that bad to be honest. If anyone can provide water quality assessments on the Nepean I would love to read them.

Luc.

thanks guys, thats enough to put me off the idea!

I have been told that bas are realy nice eating, and that come from a relative that gets more then a fair share of cod & yella's .

Maybe Im just looking for a substitute. I dont get back to home town often enough Certainly dont miss the boring town but I do miss the taste of fresh water fish!

Cheers Guys :-)

Brett if you want to try a bass go up to lake Lyell with a bunch of earthworms or yabbies (if you aren't into lure fishing) and you will get one which is most definitely edible. They are stocked into there also so there is no issues taking a couple for a feed as they are quite sustainable. I'm sure you will enjoy them.