nargse1

Hi guys,

New to this forum, joined after seeing comments and queries on Gomuko rods.  Bought two when they first came out, red and a blue, red as a Christmas present for a mate, blue for me. We also thought they were way overrated and kids rods but loved the action. How wrong we were regarding kids rods - though they are great for the grandies! Best fish on mine is a 26kg sambo, rod was fine, fish swam off fine, I was not fine! For the money these, along with blackhole explorers and jigging master sabers, must be the best value rods available. As long as i can find one built on the backbone will be getting a black to go with a Release SG.

Regarding comments about casting etc., we've found they work soft plastics and jigs great and cast well to OK depending on the bait/lure weight. Down to the small guides and leaders (20lb wind ons even with a FG knot is fairly big with the micro guides) and rod action I suppose.

Anyone any comments on the black with an overhead?

Cheers,

Howard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/17/2017 at 0:19 AM, Howard Gill said:

Hi guys,

New to this forum, joined after seeing comments and queries on Gomuko rods.  Bought two when they first came out, red and a blue, red as a Christmas present for a mate, blue for me. We also thought they were way overrated and kids rods but loved the action. How wrong we were regarding kids rods - though they are great for the grandies! Best fish on mine is a 26kg sambo, rod was fine, fish swam off fine, I was not fine! For the money these, along with blackhole explorers and jigging master sabers, must be the best value rods available. As long as i can find one built on the backbone will be getting a black to go with a Release SG.

Regarding comments about casting etc., we've found they work soft plastics and jigs great and cast well to OK depending on the bait/lure weight. Down to the small guides and leaders (20lb wind ons even with a FG knot is fairly big with the micro guides) and rod action I suppose.

Anyone any comments on the black with an overhead?

Cheers,

Howard

I have a black with an overhead. Matched it with a Daiwa Lexa. I find it awkward, rod seems to want to pull to the side.....My first overhead set up so maybe this is normal. I don't like it. :blush:

Hi recurve,

It shouldn't pull to one side or the other if it's built on the backbone. If not it will definitely pull to the way the backbone wants to pull it. Not as noticeable on a spinner but deadly on an overhead. Check the backbone placement when buying, its definitely worth it, even if the guys in the shop look at you like you're doning to break their rods. Explain what you are doing and if hey don't understand go to another shop who knows their business.

Cheers and enjoy the overhead.

• 2 years later...

Let's revive this thread once more haha!

I have picked up that these rods have very small micro guides. I have been considering getting the PE1-3 (Blue) or the PE2-4 (Black) but would I have issues using leaders up around 60-80lb even using the FG knot?

Thinking of putting a Abu Garcia Oceanfield BG on it. While I'm here does anyone have an opinion on these reels?

Was about to ask start a new thread, but given this one is revised....

Been thinking of getting a blue PE 1-3 as a second slightly heavier snapper rod .  Current snapper rod is a 5 - 8kg model with a Stradic 4000.  

What do people recommend as a reel for the blue PE 1-3?  Was originally thinking a Thunnus but now thinking going back to a Stradic 4000

Any suggestions?

Stradic is fine, though I personally use a 3000 Nasci on mine - nice and light.

Is your Stradic a FK or ci4+? 

Also, how deep would you use it? If it's deeeep then consider a big reel for the capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, anthman said:

I have the blue and the black. The guides are very small so would not plan on running knots through the guides.

So no even using the FG? Far out the guides must be super small! 

On 3/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, fifis101 said:

So no even using the FG? Far out the guides must be super small! 

Depends on the braid and leader thickness. If I recall correctly, I could get away with 20lb braid and 40lb leader through the eyelets, but it was very noticeable and caught where the braid ended and leader begun (using 20 turn FG knot). It physically fits but very noticeable and sometimes catches. Given the likely waits of the jigs and retrieve style for this rod, it's very easy for the leader knot to hit the top eyelet hard if the leader is long.