outboard motor problems

brendon19

Hi just took the new boat out for the first time today but the engine has a skip (miss) above half throttle i am not shore if it is the plugs or fuel problem ? It is like the engine shuts of for a second and straight back on again it only does it every 3 seconds or so. It is a 1982 35hp electric start evinrude 2 stroke

Edited by brendon19

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed 50:1?

Hmmm the only other thing that I can think of, is try changing the air\fuel mixture? I haven't done this before on an outboard, but have on my motorbike. Its a screw that allows you to twist, depending on which direction, makes it run leaner or richer. I'm taking a wild guess your outboard is running lean. Hope you get it sorted, let us know how you progress.

Think i will have to post a video but wont be till friday .

The kill switch is all good it is only when you get over half throttle It starts doing it. Starts right up and idles like a dream.

list of things i have done so far

New fuel

New plugs

Checked all electrical connections

stripped down the carb and cleaned many times

Cleaned the spark plug connections

im lost to what it could be dont know if its fuel or electrical

I still think your problem is fuel. On an old engine it is usually a blockage of some kind or a worn hose somewhere. Another thing you may not have checked I dont know, is the float level. Do those engines have any kind of fuel pump? Im not sure but you can check that if it does. Somewhere, somehow the engine is not getting the fuel it needs.

Thats the one thing i have not checked the float i just found the specs to do it so will tommorrow. Yes they have a fuel pump and filter on the side i know that works.

brand new fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump and carby.

Edited by brendon19

I have had a similiar condition with 115hp Johnson of the same vintage as yours.The brother in law is a marine engineer, so I got a carb kit so he could fit it . On inspection of the motor before with started as it was my suggestion to buy the carb kit first so we had it on hand to fit. (thinking I was helping to be a good assistant)

He found that one of the four coils had a broken wire, so off to the local marine place to get a coil. Works perfect now and have had two trips with no problems at all, also it was hard to start and would backfire before starting. Hope this helps as I had the problem for ages and it was very annoying when it would only go to half throttle to get to the ramp.

regards norm

Had a similar problem in a car many years ago. Turned out to be the plug leads breaking down under load.

That was not an uncommon problem when leads first changed from hard copper wire to carbon filled as the conductor. As I recall, early Volkswagens were particularly affected.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by Paikea

.Thanks for all the tips guys. Rang a local marine mechanic today and he was busy so he ringing me back tommorrow. If the timing was out could it cause the problem ? Will replace the plug leads if i can find them locally just waiting to hear back from the mechanic