Pipe fitting

The Incredible Hull

Hey handy men!

I'm trying to find a name of a pipe fitting, which I'm sure you guys will know!

In regards to a live bait tank, how you have the pipes attached to "a fitting" which is inside the live well wall.

What is that fitting called? And while I'm here, how do go about fitting one so that its water sealed.

Cheers and thanks in advanced!

dave.

Its called a skin fitting. There are numerous types, you can get some from Whitworth's or Bunnings have irrigation fittings that you can use.

When installing the fitting through the wall of your tank use a sealant around the thread and on the inside flange. make sure that the sealant is of the type that is compatible with keeping fish. I think there is one sealant that nominates that it is suitable for use in aquariums.

I used irrigation fittings for my live bait well, just a skin fitting with a screwed tube on the inside. The tube is capped off at the outer end. I drilled a series of small holes in the tube to direct a spay of water over the surface.

Good Luck

Cheer

Paikea

Guest Aussie007

TIH, i had a bait tank installed on my last boat, it had a leak from the drain plug i asked for it to be fixed the bloke was happy to do so and showed me a sealant called "sikaflex" that was used, i will be using it again on my new bait tank

There are different types of Sikaflex. Just make sure that the one that you use is ok for use with fish. Apparently if you use the wrong type it exudes some form of chemical that will kill the fish.

Cheers

Paikea

I got my skin fittings from Bias, no other places sold them. Managed to finish my home made live well.

I also discovered something during the installation. I realised that with the bilge pump, it can pump in reverse by switching the terminals around. So I decided not to have a bung on the bottom.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

Guest Aussie007

I got my skin fittings from Bias, no other places sold them. Managed to finish my home made live well.

I also discovered something during the installation. I realised that with the bilge pump, it can pump in reverse by switching the terminals around. So I decided not to have a bung on the bottom.

post up some pictures if u can mate, i like seeing DIY jobs, im mostly finished on my DIY bait tank as well

Mines a little tacky, didn't get a nice box, instead used a bin =)

I was walking through bigw, searching for a box thats 50cm high, but most were only 30cm high. I needed the height to clear the transom.

I then saw a bin which fitted the measurements!

I can still harvest the fittings etc, so maybe later I'll invest in a nicer box =)

Guest Aussie007

Mines a little tacky, didn't get a nice box, instead used a bin =)

I was walking through bigw, searching for a box thats 50cm high, but most were only 30cm high. I needed the height to clear the transom.

I then saw a bin which fitted the measurements!

I can still harvest the fittings etc, so maybe later I'll invest in a nicer box =)

good job :) ive used the bin before and it works lol, your pump might be a little low hard to tell from your video, if its lower than your hull it'll rip off when u drive the boat :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Raiders,

Thought I'd share this.

Found a much better tank\drum for live bait. If anyone is looking for a suitable size one, this one is a small perfect size of 30L, you can pick it up from Bunnings at $20.

post-18882-0-12533500-1383375652_thumb.jpg

You can get a round one or a rectangular one, pretty awesome!

Edited by The Incredible Hull