Hobie Outback Mirage vs Pro Angler 12

PRED-ATOR

Hi Yakkers,

Would love to get your opinion on the above yaks.

Mianly looking for pros and cons in both and most important of all, fishability.

The PA looks awesome and a great platform but heavy etc.

Sorry I havent been more specific!

Cheers, Stan

Hi Stan

The Outback (I believe) is far more suited to offshore fishing than the PA12 - and will also fish estuaries and dams well too. Depending on your size & stability, many can stand up & fish from the Outback - particularly if you have outriggers or some form of stabilizing tools ......

The PA12 is really an estuary and dam yak. VERY stable but can be quite heavy & awkward to get on & off your vehicle. Many people get 'yak trailers' for them

Best thing is to go & try BOTH on the water (with rods in hand) and then ask to load it on to their trailer or vehicle!! PAs take up more storage room in garages, too!

If you are only doing inshore fishing, go the PA12 - if wanting to do offshore as well - go the Outback or even check the Revos as well.

Cheers

Roberta

Some people DO take their PAs off shore - but I wouldn't recommend it!

Edited by Roberta

Thanks Roberta,

I thought the stability factor of the PA 12 would make it a perfect candidate for offshore fishing?

I would be fishing bass in the nepean and bream/jewies/flatties kings in the parra and harbour. I think i will definately have to try both before i buy.

Do you think the Outback would suit well to my above needs?

Hi Stan

Check out this post & watch the video closely! It is often the conditions that stuff a yak, not the stability! The front hatch (as I understand it) is NOT waterproof and it is a BIG YAK (some almost call it a boat!) ....

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=67379

Personally, I would only take a PA in relatively calm waters - I can not imagine trying to launch it or land it ...... when there is a surf running!

Yes - any yak will flip given the wrong circumstances/conditions - but you are generally sitting higher in the PA than the other hobie/different brand Sit On yaks - and this can have a really de-stabilizing effect if you get unbalanced or broadsided by a big wave or boat wash. Weather can change in a second - you cannot always get back to shore before it happens. Safety is paramount.

When fishing the Nepean & other bass streams - you would probably be better off in the Out back - so you can lift the pedals when in really shallow/snaggy territory, so you don't damage the fins. The PA is virtually impossible to paddle - particularly in a flowing river where you may have to make an instantaneous decision to get out of a bad situation! You really have to try both yaks on the water (without the fins, as well!) to see just how they handle as a paddle yak too!

A friend has recently had to paddle her Revo11 and was surprised at how difficult IT was to paddle when the Revo13 was much easier! I am not sure why ...... all the more reason to try ALL the models to find that one that paddles & pedals OK for YOU. You only need to paddle occasionally - but you need to know that you CAN paddle it, if you choose to ..... or HAVE to!

Yes - DEFINITELY try before you buy!! See if you can meet up with fellow FRs who have a Revo, Outback and/or PA to try ....... you really need 2hrs in one to see how they suit you, comfort wise etc!

cheers

Roberta

• 2 months later...

I know this topic is quite old, but thought id put in my two bobs worth as i have made the transition from a revo13 to pa12. This will help anyone else going through this in the future.

The only reason i moved on from revo was my bad back.

I really miss the revo. I had the blow up outriggers on mine and could fish the estuary standing up. Even when boats went past.

They are awesome offshore. I used to go out to jibbon bombie and around shark island. You get wet, but youre kayaking so youd expect that.

Revos track in straight line better that the revo especially with the larger rudder, the PA12 loses its steerage way too easily (design flaw with the rudder size if you ask me).

The horizontal rod storage and huge front hatch is a massive bonus if staying in the estuary. I love taking a lot of gear out with me and i lost count how many times i caught the rods behind me when casting on revo.

The pa12 is stable enough to peddle with one foot if you have the strenght and balance.

It really is a boat as Roberta said, and probably not what youd want if you are going to spend most of your time offshore.

I personally believe that all offshore yakkers should have hand bilge pump or fitted 12v pump as theres no way your should trust that the front hatch on either yak to be waterproof. I used to get water in the bilge of the revo too when botany bay got rough.

A for getting the yaks on and off the roof. I get my pa12 on and off my captiva without too much hassle. I use the rack and roll system with the vertical upright to support it. (Upright not required for the revo). Im 5'10/177cm and do it with ease on flat ground. Shorter people may have dramas with taller cars.

The seat on the PA12 is to die for. You cant beat it. So comfortable. If my yak had a bed id never go home.