Longtom?

brad_tate

Question

Hi all,

Any idea what this fish is?

Caught in Salt Pan Creek (George's River) this morning on a prawn (swam away happily after photos). Measured 85 cm.

It looks like a Longtom, but according to my books the bigger ones such as the Banded Longtom have dark fins. The only Longtom I can find with yellow fins is a tropical variety that only grows to about 50 cm.

My book says they are all good eating but from memory as a kid in Redcliffe QLD, they are absolutely full of bones. We used to catch them off the rock wall but not this big.

Thanks!

post-13515-0-30472100-1382246313_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

We caught this guy on the drift at the start of Salt Pan Creek in Revesby Heights - just downriver of the large Catamaran moored in the creek there.

He had gobbled the prawn and hook so I cut that off - no way I was sticking my hand in that gob to try and get a hook back!

Didn't do any real damage to the leader however.

The biggest long tom species can grow to 4 feet or so. Think it is the Stout Longtom as Blackfish mentioned.

Found one on the bank of Lake Illawarra when I was a kid (many years ago) and it was easily 4 feet long ( measured it against my height at the time) and the body was much thicker than my arm.

Catch a few in Port Hacking from time to time around the 40 to 50 cm mark. Ate a couple, similar to garfish in taste, but would prefer the garfish. Cut off the fillets and carefully remove the rib bones from the fillet. Pan fry in bread crumbs.

Edited by yowie