Kingfish novice out of Moruya / Mossy Point

Evening all,planning a trip for a week out of Moruya in Jan 2014 I'll have my sons with me and I'd like to try and put them on to some kings, stripeys, something thats got some go to open their eyes. At 15 and 13 theyre old enough and keen as. I've waited till they were old enough to appreciate a good fight out side with something decent, We always bottom bounced, but I've got a fair selection of jet heads, deep divers, made a great teaser,,,,,basically all the gear and no idea.

Plenty of time as a kid out of Narooma around Montague for stripeys etc prior to the Parks. Id be happy to find a reef, anchor up and cube and try for a good snapper for them but kings are my holy grail. I've heard a fair bit about kings of Moruya and I want to get my boys hooked on fishing out side.

Can any one help me with suggestions, marks or tee up a day mid Jan 2014 where we could follow in our boat to watch and learn. We own a 95" 5mtr Seafarer V-Sea with a 115 Johno, 80ltr tank and sub tank so should be able to keep up.

Any help / suggestions really appreciated. Thanks

Dean

Hi Dean,

Fished moyura a bit. Kings are a bit of a hit an miss target. Depends if they are about - plenty of days when they don't co-operate. Should be in with a chance in january.

Can target them in a variety of places - directly in front there is heaps of reef - mainly to the north - fairly shallow and trollable. They are also caught up at broulee island - but need to watch the marine park boundaries up there. The other spot that can be popular is about 6km out from river mouth perhaps a tiny bit south. Bit of a large reef in 50 meters comes up to 40 - marked on charts or iphone navonics etc. Pros work it a bit. Normally boats on it. Not so much trolling - it tends to be jigging thats popular here. Livebaiting should be just as effective and your bottom bouncing outfits may suit this style of fishing more than jigging. Get your livebait on reefs closer to shore. Bait jigs or small hooks - slimies ideal. Rigs not that different to standard bottom bouncing - sinker , swivel - leader to hook and pin your livey on. Can fish one on surface but generally more action on bottom on that reef.

Stripeys or bonnies - yep trolling anything shiny should work if they are about. Could go even wider and target Striped marlin in january - depends how confident you are - need a bit of good weather and saftey gear to think about that.

if there not there can always consider a run to montague - less than an hour by road from moyura - not the best run in a boat in summer from moyura as it would be nasty coming back if a north east wind comes up which it tends to do.

best of luck