Fishing wide off Ulladulla

Paikea

Sitting in the Chinese restaurant last Saturday we struck up a conversation with the next table. Turns out the guy was a mad keen fisherman with a 6.5 Stabicraft and 150 HP Honda OB.

After swapping some yarns I learnt that he and two mates were fishing wide off Ulladulla on Sunday and he would ring me when they came in to have a look at their catch.

Sunday turned out a dog of a day and I did not expect that they would have gone out, but, a call at 4.00 PM invited me to have a look at the boat and their catch.

I then learnt that conditions had not been great,(an understatement) with "wind from the east 15 to 20 knts, current from the north and a heavy swell two to three metres from the south, south east with sets up to four metres standing up in the current." Clearly a day for the very keen only.

The boat was clearly set up for deep water bottom fishing with a big Furuno sounder, 1Kw transducer, electric reels, and a huge fish box.

Following are some pics;

First the big Furuno;

Next, to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, you call that a transducer, now this is a transducer! A great set up, can be lowered when required and drawn up when travelling at speed.

Great cockpit, typical mess.

Part of the catch, Ling, Blue Eye cod, and a red Perch like fish. Anyone identify these?

A 9Kg LIng.

A top catch by any criteria, but they spent 10 plus hours in poor conditions to get them.

Finally, I also heard that the Tiger Flathead have shown up in the usual places off Ulladulla. A top place to visit and fish. Enjoy

Cheers

Paikea

You live in a nice part of the world Charlie, I like the Lake.<br /><br />We have had a holiday house near Rennie's Beach for 20 years and try to get down there every two to three weeks. I have a small (3.6M, 49 KG) car top boat there that I have used in Narrawallee to run up the creek. Only checking it out so far, haven't fished it yet.<br /><br />I used to trail my Seafarer down to fish the Kingie Ground,Burrill Rocks etc but health problems (knee replacement that went bad and some other issues)over the past 2 years have meant that I am not able to use my 5.6 M Tournament until all health problems have been resolved . Very frustrating but starting to look up as I am hoping to put the boat in the water in Sydney with the help of Stormy in the near future. I don't think that I will be taking the Tournament down to Ulladulla until next year.<br /><br />Hey Stormy what is this about "Trading", as I recall you owe me some fillets never mind getting some of mine if and when I get some.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Paikea,<br /><br />

Is'nt up the back of Narrawalle a magical spot! I guess it's remained that way as it's so hard to access.

Most of the car tracks up to the back of the lake have been blocked off with the new estates going up.

Tabourie Lake has been open for a while now and is worth a look if your after lakes to explore. There's a hidden boat ramp near the council caravan park on the northern side of the lake.

It is a magic place, Eagles nesting, heaps of bird life and very few people.

There is a small cabin and a bush ramp toward the end of the creek, just after the rock bar. I looked at it via Google Earth and it appears that there is a track going to it from Milton. (its a long creek). Obviously through private property but would love to know who owns it to try and get permission to use the track.

Launching from the Narrawallee ramp is only possible a few hours either side of high tide. After that access to the creek on the North side is too shallow.

Never been on Lake Tabourie. Any deep holes?

Cheers

Paikea

In regards to Tabourie, never actually sounded the lake. In recent years have only fished it in recent years from a Hobie Kayak and the lake was closed at that point in time.

Funny you mention the private property near the rock bar, it's owned by a friend of mine's grandparents.

The property is a milking farm owned by the Anderson's.