dog and pfd

pappy

How old is the dog and what size is the boat? Will it be in the cabin or out the back? Anchored or underway?

Oh wait, that's for children (seriously, kids on water means jackets on kids).

There are no rules for dogs as far as I am aware. I guess it depends on how much you value your dog. Take into account not just how well your dog swims but how difficult it might be to get it back on board. Both of mine, (x-kelps) have jackets and the handles on the back make it so much easy to manhandle them.

in the wording it says all occupants, a dog is considered a occupant and equal to a adult.

that was from waterways office when I called about taking my dog and clarification of the rule

so in their rule book when it says all occupants have to xyz the dog is included

How old is the dog and what size is the boat? Will it be in the cabin or out the back? Anchored or underway?

Oh wait, that's for children (seriously, kids on water means jackets on kids).

There are no rules for dogs as far as I am aware. I guess it depends on how much you value your dog. Take into account not just how well your dog swims but how difficult it might be to get it back on board. Both of mine, (x-kelps) have jackets and the handles on the back make it so much easy to manhandle them.

More luck than me, have a black Lab 40kg's worth. 2 different jackets, 2 lifts, handles broke off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

<p>I have 2 beagles and both wear there PFD's when out and about and yes we lost one DOB(dog overboard) at easter with the Pfd on it was much easier to get him back on board ( after a lot of calling him and waiting for him to come back to the boat) I'd hate to think what I would have done if he wasn't wearing it .as I have very high gunnels,</p>

<p>So my dogs are worth it law or not</p>

<p> </p>

<p>David</p>

Edited by DavidA

• 2 weeks later...

I would die laughing sitting in court representing a defendant that was being prosecuted by Waterways for failing to have a life jacket on a dog. The Magistrate would fall of his/her chair in laughter too. At law an occupant is a human being. If we need jackets on dogs what about cats and pet rabbits and so it could go on.

Now I really am laughing.

Happy catching and don't worry too much about being in strife about your dog.