big hawkesbury jew

tide'n'knots

Gday raiders, my partner went off on a cruise with some of her girlfriends for the weekend so I arranged for an overnighter on the haweksbury with my fishing mate Joe. We headed off on friday arvo at around 2pm the plan was to put in at parsley bay ramp head over to the bait grounds at the mouth of pittwater stock up on some livies then get serious about catching a decent jew. I bought prawns, squid, slimey mackeral and mullet so we had a good variety of both dead and live bait. As we rounded the corner at juno the wind was hitting us straight in the face and the tide was running out creating a very bumpy ride out to get the live bait ,quite a good swell was coming up the river and there were quite a few white caps I am sure if I had a surfboard I could have just about riden some of them! after a very uncomfortable half hour or so we managed around a dozen livies and headed back up the river to try and find somewhere fishable out of the wind. we finally decided that the western side of dangar island gave us the best protection from the wind so we dropped anchor in about 30 feet of water and hoped for the best. I threw 3 rods out 1 baited with a live yakka the second with a nice big squid and the third with a slab of mullet, joe dropped out a couple of rods baited with similar baits and for some reason decided to put a peeled prawn on a cheap rod and reel that he bought from the supermarket for about 30 bucks loaded with 6lb mono. We didnt have to wait long before we got some serious action and guess which rod it was on? you guessed it - the cheap 30 dollar 6lb mono rod!!! The rod bucked and screamed off and within about 30seconds stripped about a third of the line from the reel. It was pretty obvious that joe would very quickly run out of line if we didnt do something drastic so I quickly wound up the other rods pulled the anchor and motored backwards towards the fish while joe wound line back onto the reel and from that point on it was just a matter of following the fish around until it got tired, and after about 15mins the fish came up to the side of the boat and behaved beautifully while I netted her!

post-8689-0-67000300-1384090255_thumb.jpg

23lb of silverware!!

We fished for the rest of the night for zilch but managed to get a few fish on saturday morning including five bream a flathead a nice red morwong around 35cm, and five smaller jew near the rail bridge ( the biggest going 65cm) all returned to fight another day.

pete.

That's the biggest Jew I've seen pulled from the hawkesbury in a long time. Those new size limits must be working already! Lol.

Great effort by your mate on 6lb to land that. It always seems the way with big Jew, lightest line and smallest bait= biggest fish!!!!!

I haven't been in a Jew hunt in a few weeks and you've just inspired me.

Well done! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Isn't that always the way ,what teamwork and effort to catch this fish up on a cheap rod + 6lb line. That must have been an el cheapo line as well, just goes to show you dont need to buy all those expensive outfits to catch a decent fish. Congratulations guys.

Good eating size mate. I will be getting into MH as soon as the weather clears.

Mike

gday mike I would be going while the weather is bad . As long as it isn't too windy they should be biting their heads off. We will have to try and catch up soon for a fish.

Peter

Nice work pete!! I bet you were both ecstatic to see that fatty surface!!. :D sounds like you both did a supreme job to make sure that is wasnt going to be a tale of the one that got away!! Cheapo outfit with light line and peeled prawn!! I was out Friday night in berowra and once we got through the pike eels managed a few round 60cm and had a livie get hit and spat straight out again with another livie got hit again 2 minutes later massive runs big head shakes and alot of weight the fish but some idiot grabbed the light leader and the rest is just another fishing story. Congrats to you both. Spotie. .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Crazy fish. Awesome to see they are still around the area. Something to be said about bigger fish liking the lighter gear. We dropped a big fish around the corner from there a couple of months ago. Similar sort of set up, obviously not looking for a Jewie. Unfortunately we lost out on that occasion. Great to see someone winning. Top photo... All the best