Reel ratchet - increasing the sound

Hi

I have a couple of small Diawa and Shimano 2500 reels. They are not expensive reels but they have served me well. The only thing I don't like is the ratchet isn't loud enough if I am on the boat at night so a fish can have a decent run before I relize what is going on.

Has any one got any suggestions on how to make the rachet louder. I don't want to use bells on the rod as the drive me crazy :)

Cheers CC

Hi CC

since there's not much involved in mechanism that produces the sound, personally I found if there is any grease on the mechanism under the spool, clean it off as this muffles the alert. Once you've cleaned off the grease if there was any, apply a drop of oil.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Edited by fishingphase

Found these interesting ones

Need something like that that produces sound when the reel is rotating.

Maybe a laser based device that detect movement on the reel surface.

Also a theory: when using a bell if you mount the bell lower on the rod would it prevent false alert?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbMcUj_ozPE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSbMcUj_ozPE

Also a theory: when using a bell if you mount the bell lower on the rod would it prevent false alert?

It would be nice if it was in English....

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi CC

since there's not much involved in mechanism that produces the sound, personally I found if there is any grease on the mechanism under the spool, clean it off as this muffles the alert. Once you've cleaned off the grease if there was any, apply a drop of oil.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

I thing you might be on the money. I will check the reels out and get back to you.

Gday CC,

I've never experimented with doing this but I think if you used a stronger spring in the ratchet mechanism beneath the spool, it should make the ratchet louder. Just be warned though, that the ratchet adds friction and unlike in most baitcasters and overhead reels, can't be disengaged in a spin reel. The increased friction will add to drag & wear out parts quicker.

Cheers, Slinky

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbMcUj_ozPE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSbMcUj_ozPE

We bought a reel like that for both of my sons' last Christmas. They love them, just not quite the quality I need for that record breaking Jewie :)