Alvey 650gts and 555te Telescopic Rods

SMn

G'day!

Driving down Melbourne over Christmas for 2 days then fishing my way back up to the Central Coast over about 2 weeks. Seeing as how space will be an issue with bags, tents and other contraptions for the wife and two kids, I decided to buy 2 telescopic rods for my Alveys. A particular online tackle shop was having a 25% sale which ended last night and I was able to pick up both rods for a very reasonable price. I am a little apprehensive about telescopic rods, but taking my 14ft one piece Butterworth is out of the question and even 2 or 3 piece rods just wont cut it space wise, especially with the kid's seats in the car, so telescopic it is.

I will be using the 555te rod (10'6") with a 500c5 (2kg mono) and 600bc (4kg mono) for whiting, trevs, bream and flathead.

And the 650gts rod (4.1m) with a 650a5 (6kg mono) and 650grbc (10kg mono) for salmon, tailor and other toothy critters.

These rods wont be in my everyday rotation when space isn't an issue and will most likely live in the boot of my car after this holiday, with a reel for those off chances I find myself in a particularly fishy spot in future. I have absolutely no experience with telescopic rods, if anyone has used these particular rods or similar rods I would like to hear what they are like/how to care for them/pros and cons/ etc... ?

Any knowledge and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Phil.

Hi mateI don't own one as I havnt had the need, but if Alvey is willing to put its name on it, I'd say you shouldn't have a problem.Harry If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

cheers mate, I probably wouldn't have taken the plunge if weren't designed by Alvey.

I own a 650GTS as my everyday rod and it is really good. The 2nd guide is not glued to the rod, you need to fit it in place every time so after a cast it might rotate of axis but that does not affect the cast or retreive. Used it on rocks too and no problem getting a salmon out of water.

post-31714-13845478513269_thumb.jpg

After each use dunk the extended rod in the sea to remove any sand stuck to the surface. Once you get to a tap, rince the collapsed rod and have water running inside the rod to remove extra sand on each piece. Remove the butt cap to allow the water to come out. The reason is if you leave sand inside, next time you setup your rod the sand will scratch big time, I talk by experience :-(

Other than that it is a very good rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Both rods turned up to day, amazed at how small the collapsed rods are and big the rods are extended! I know the sizes and what to expect as most of my rods are over 12' but I just couldn't believe a 4.1m rod was hiding in the 1.2m collapsed state hahaha! Anyway only had a short time this arvo before having to pick up the kids so took the 555te 10'6 for a quick cast at the lagoon. Matched it to my Alvey 625b and a super light whiting rig and it cast very well, so happy about that. Will take both rods for serious bash Friday arvo off the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick up date on the rods. They perform really well, especially the 555te. I had it matched to 625b reel and with a size 1 bean and bait was casting easily 30m. When the swell picked up it even cast a size 3 star sinker effortlessly. Has a really sensitive tip as well so you feel every bite, landed a stack of whiting and a few dart on it this arvo. Didn't catch anything on the 650gts but it also cast very well. Wouldn't hesitate to buy these rods again and feel pretty confident using them for serious fishing.

Cheers for all the advice and feedback guys!

Just a quick up date on the rods. They perform really well, especially the 555te. I had it matched to 625b reel and with a size 1 bean and bait was casting easily 30m. When the swell picked up it even cast a size 3 star sinker effortlessly. Has a really sensitive tip as well so you feel every bite, landed a stack of whiting and a few dart on it this arvo. Didn't catch anything on the 650gts but it also cast very well. Wouldn't hesitate to buy these rods again and feel pretty confident using them for serious fishing.

Cheers for all the advice and feedback guys!

Thanks for the update mate, good luck

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...