75hp mercury red band 2 stroke

burnsie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, IF it is true red band Merc, which I highly doubt because no such thing as a 75HP back in the 1960's, then the three cylinder 75HP/90HP Mercs of the last 20 odd years have weighed in at 138Kg. As for "bands" on Merc, that has not be used for many years but started off with the 60's Red band, then went to blue bands and for a few years there brown bands. Around the early 1990's they stopped using this term and serial number is all important when determining the age of a Merc.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Grant, yes the good old Merc "black anchor" syndrome is very much related to the old red band and early blue band. By 1983 when the last "blue band" was made the US had listened to the rest of the world and were making their engines for salt water use. The classic black anchor can relate to other brands nowsdays too because I can guarantee you, you will still see 30 year old "black anchor" Mercs still running around whereas just yesterday we traded only a 9 year old engine which has a badly corroded cylinder head that is too costly to fix for the owner so we are fitting a white engine. This engine was black and it is not a Merc- it is not the first time I have seen this and it will not be the last time an engine of this brand fails where the cylinder head is corroded beyond cost effective repair for an owner.

Cheers,

Huey.

Some of those other "black" Japanese engines made by famous motorcycle companies have anodes in the cooling and exhaust (?) systems that a lot of mechanics don't know about, so they just change the oil, plugs and impellers and because these engines run with nary a glitch the corrosion problem doesn't manifest until they are unrepairable.