A few fish from 2 outings ..... mixed bag

arpie

Hi guys

With the inclement weather recently I haven't been out much ....... but did get out a couple of times last week, the 2nd time, being caught out in a fierce electrical storm that had me scurrying for shelter in an Oyster Shed, so that I wasn't the 'tallest structure' on the water!!!

First day, only topwater seemed to work - the Strada Viral (sugapen lookalike) worked well!!
Nice bream

post-2231-0-75224800-1384901621_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-54489800-1384902391_thumb.jpg

Changed colour again & got a flattie this time!!!

post-2231-0-61333900-1384901721_thumb.jpg

I missed it the first time it hit & put the lure over the same spot & nailed him the 2nd time! It went 50cm & came home for dinner! :D

post-2231-0-79563700-1384901763_thumb.jpg

Then last weekend, some yakking buddies were up at Tuncurry, so we hit the water on Sat ..... one mate had an amazing rig - he has had major surgeries & unable to paddle a yak anymore, so designed a dual leccie setup for his Jacson Yak ...... it is a BEAST!

post-2231-0-46438500-1384901918_thumb.jpg

He designed a lifting mechanism to lift both leccies up when needed ini the shallows and his buddy made it up for him.....

post-2231-0-57603000-1384902014_thumb.jpg

We got caught up in a BIG electrical storm! Up til then, i'd had lots of topwater hits on small damiki poppers (umpa 40) but they couldn't find the hooks! grrrr

The weather looked a little threatening!

post-2231-0-37970100-1384901870_thumb.jpg

THen it happened - big rain, big thunder & lightening & I took shelter along with another yak buddy!

post-2231-0-31040700-1384902037_thumb.jpg

Then after the storm, whilst it was still raining, I put on my old faithful 'Squidgy Silver Fox with red tail' and got flattie after flattie!!

post-2231-0-36163700-1384902080_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-44367600-1384902100_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-45416900-1384902122_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-79103400-1384902144_thumb.jpg

We had 2 guests arriving from WA the next day, so these 3 came home for dinner! :D

One buddy cracked the bream code & landed about 12 bream from one hot spot!! Here is one of the better ones - a real blue nose!

post-2231-0-18659400-1384902198_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-10596500-1384902244_thumb.jpg

A fun day on the water - another buddy has arrived today for a few days, so hope to get out tomorrow with her! We may even have a go for bass too!

cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Great work Roberta :thumbup:

Certainly some classy fish there and good on you for getting out there in appalling conditions and getting terrific results.

Nice photos too!

Just a few questions please if you don't mind. In the photo of the whiting I noticed you have a snap connected to the split ring of the lure. What are your thoughts about this presentation as opposed to removing the split ring and connecting the snap straight to the lure or even tieing your leader directly to the split ring without the snap? Also apart from ease of changing lures have you found any advantages using the snaps as opposed to tieing a loop knot, maybe better knot strength or greater lure action?

I was thinking about getting some size 00 decoy snaps or similar just to save a bit of time out on the water when changing bream lures.

Special thanks and keep up the good work.

Ian

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments - it was just good to get out & get a couple of fish as it has been SO windy up here, it has been dangerous to get out in recent months!!

Hi Ian

..snap straight to the lure or even tieing your leader directly to the split ring without the snap?..

The connection in the pic is called a 'no knot' and I was using it cos I'd forgotten to put my favourite 'link' in the yak! Looking at MY yak, you'd wonder how I could fit anything else on it ...... but I do!! :074:

The one I prefer to use now is made by Decoy and are 'spirals' & they come in 3 sizes - there are no moving parts on them, so they don't get 'metal fatigue' like some other 'moving clips' do & you just twist them on & off the lure.

post-2231-0-13831600-1384920647_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-49425400-1384920678_thumb.jpg

The main advantage is that I am not shortening the leader when I change lures as often as I do - and to be totally honest, I am just bone LAZY about tying knots all the time!! I've never had a Decoy Spiral break on me yet - or had a flathead open one up (as some 'snap' clips do.) They are also incredibly strong.

They virtually give the same action that a small loop knot does, as the lure still slips around the inside of the ring (but doesn't come off!) and it just takes seconds to change from one lure to another.

So - before trying any of the other 'snaps' try the decoy SPIRALS :D

cheerio

Roberta

Roberta,

Love the dual leccie motor setup. I gotta me one of those. Any idea how much your friend might value it if he was to charge for all the parts and labour?

As always, I love reading your reports from God's own country. Used to be my favourite holiday spot (stayed at Pacific Palms) when I was land based. I'd take my two girls down to Smith's for a fish. Priceless memories!

At the moment, the wife has a thing for the Saphire Coast, can't say that I blame her, but a return to Wallis is still on the cards.

Cheers,

Nursie

Look forward to catching up with you, Nursie, next time you get to Wallis or thereabouts! :D'

He could have sold his yak 'as is' to about 3 others who saw it in the caravan park that he stayed in for the weekend, tho - so there are a few others who liked it too!

check your PMs

cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Great report Roberta as always! Those decoy links you displayed look rather interesting. Never seen them before. Can you buy them from bcf or local tackle stores or do you have to order them online? And do you still require a loop knot?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

...Just wondering, why would u put two motors on a yak?.....

In some of the waterways up here, the current is quite excessive & just the single might not be sufficient - with a double, no worries - you would be able to go across Sydney Harbour in a straight line, I reckon!! (PLUS, he just loves tinkering!!)

Hi Scratchie

...Can you buy the decoys from local tackle stores or do you have to order them online? And do you still require a loop knot?...

Any tackle shop should have them, mate. They are terrific. No loop knot required, as they 'replace' the loop knot! :D

cheerio

Roberta

Great report thanks for sharing those snaps look the goods.I know the area well and holidayed there often,Pacific palms was also my go to accommodation it really is one the best places to visit in the State fishing is great as well.Cant wait to travel up for a crack with the new yak on the ute.

...Cant wait to travel up for a crack with the new yak on the ute. ....

Let me know when you are up - we may be able to get together on the water! :D Haven't fished the Palms for years!! Sadly, there are trawlers that net the area - sometimes there are just NO fish! :(

Roberta

Great post!

Love those pics with fish and lures hanging out of their mouths. Awesome.

Talked to Stormy yesterday about his trip to your area, he had a ball, so much so that he bought a new Hobie.

I have always wanted to fish that area, acres of sand flats. My favourite fishing environment.

Cheers

Paikea

Yep, Paikea, it's a great back yard to have! :D

I met up with a buddy from the bush on Thurs & gave 2lb fluoro straight thru a go!! OMG! It was SO weird having that 'stretchiness' again!

I didn't land anything big - a couple of 'larger specimens' got off, as i thought they were snags & only realised they were fish, too late!! It is tricky 'striking' to set the hook with 2lb - so I just sharpened the hooks & that did the trick after that!

post-2231-0-81734600-1385259647_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-82305100-1385259669_thumb.jpg

This one just kept hitting the lure til it hooked itself!!

post-2231-0-62937300-1385259684_thumb.jpg

First time I've caught a bream on a Squidgy Fish 100mm!! Silver Fox works again!

post-2231-0-54998600-1385259699_thumb.jpg

cheers

Roberta