Lure rod help- making the switch

dale91

Hey guys and girls,

I always read the goss on fishraider but I don't normally write.

I have finally decided to make the switch from bait to lures! And was wandering if I could grab any advice on what rod and reel I should be looking at.

I will mainly be fishing in the port hacking river and possibly sometimes in the George's river.

Any other tips will be more then appreciated.

Regards,

Dale

Awesome guys, really appreciate the help.

I was thinking I might target flathead but still obviously want the ability to have a go at some others.

How much would the Catana 7ft and sienna 2500 be roughly?

I think I wouldn't mind spending between $200-$300

If it will get me some better quality gear.

What do you guys feel about for my leader?

Is it worth spending the extra money for fleuro or is it best to stick with mono?

Really appreciate the help guys!

You should be able to put together a nice outfit for those dollars Have a look for Pflueger Trion ( 7 foot long 2-4 kg) might be around $100. On your budget you should have $200 left for a nice little #2000 size reel and some 4 lb braid. Go the flouro carbon leader

Cheers Blood Knot

Awesome thanks,

Would I have any issues fishing with 4lb braid?

I was thinking I would be safer with 6-8lb?

Lighter gear = more fun, more hook ups and further casts.

Just make sure your drag is set correctly. You don't have to spend loads on your first outfit. A 2-4kg catana and a small sienna with some fireline is more than enough to get you on your merry way and land some good fish.

Btw have a landing net with you, cheers.

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alright sweet ,

I've pretty much decided on a 7ft Pflueger Trion 2-4kgs rod and to pair it up with a Sienna 2500.

I was also thinking 4lb braid, although would I have any issue with having that light gear? and probably a fluro 6 or 8lb leader.

I was also wandering what weight jig head and size hooks I should be looking at and should I just start off with a few gulp SPs or something .

Thanks for all the help guys. I've just had 6 operations on my feet and ankles and can't wait to go buy the new gear and try catching some fish.

Cheers

Good decision.

As for the jigs this is something the forum has recently been through if you have a look around. If you want the gist of it though buy jig heads in 2 or 3 sizes up to 1/8 oz max. 1/8 for flat head and smaller for other species like bream. Plastics in size 2-3 in. The plastic and jig will feel super light and you might wonder how this technique works at all but this where your 2-4kg rod (or even 1-3) and the light braid coffee in. Remember you are trying to cast a tiny 1 to 1.5g object a reasonable distance and give it a nice action in the water

Hey guys

Went to tackle world today to get my gear and I told them I was looking at either the trion or catana at 7ft 2-4kgs with the 2500 sienna

Ended up having a combo deal on for the catana and sienna so I grabbed it all, my mrs was telling me to hurry because she had to be somewhere.

Turns out the reel is a 6'6" 3-5kg catana. I'm wheelchair bound at the moment so couldn't just go back in. I really had my heart set on the stats you guys were telling me before.

I'm just curious if this will affect my fishing much?

I can go back and pay $10 more for a 7'3" 3-5 or can discuss other options with them so that I can get the 7ft 2-4.

In your opinion what should I do and will this rod not be as good?

Hey guys

Went to tackle world today to get my gear and I told them I was looking at either the trion or catana at 7ft 2-4kgs with the 2500 sienna

Ended up having a combo deal on for the catana and sienna so I grabbed it all, my mrs was telling me to hurry because she had to be somewhere.

Turns out the reel is a 6'6" 3-5kg catana. I'm wheelchair bound at the moment so couldn't just go back in. I really had my heart set on the stats you guys were telling me before.

I'm just curious if this will affect my fishing much?

I can go back and pay $10 more for a 7'3" 3-5 or can discuss other options with them so that I can get the 7ft 2-4.

In your opinion what should I do and will this rod not be as good?

• 2 weeks later...

Dale

A 7 foot rod may give you a little extra casting distance & a lighter (rated rod) may be a little more suited to throwing light weight jig heads and lures than the 3-5kg number and also be a little less tiring to cast for long periods .

At the end of the day there is not much in it - but I would exchange for what you started out to get.

Cheers

Blood Knot