'Lookalike' Lures ....... Do you buy them?

arpie

The "you" was generic, not directed at any individual.

And Aussie lure makers of the past refined and "Aussie-fied" lures, often over decades.

I'm talking direct intellectual property theft, No effort or passion for fishing involved, just dollars.

Must say I'm feeling guilty about the strada virals that will be under Christmas tree this year for me. (The smaller one looks pretty cool I think). I can't find anything I have as much confidence as ye old faithful nw pencils....tried a few similar ones, jazz zappers, atomics etc and yep bought a strada version to give it a run anyway but perhaps it's my technique I just can't retrieve them as well.

No point in chucking $20-40 lures deep into tiger country though, it's just gonna hurt - still I do it in the heat of battle. I think I recall slinky posting that if he ever bought a $50 Anthrax he'd be using 50lb leader to make sure it came back....hehehe.

I've got both sizes in the strada virals & many colours & they work a treat!! Also on flatties in the shallows! I've caught the odd bream on them - must chuck them round more now the topwater is working so well! ;)

Whiting

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=67021

Whiting and flattie (with stinger assist hooks)

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=70735

..ye old faithful nw pencils.....

Funny - I've never had much luck with them, tho I LOVE my Sammys!! I've had more pike bite NWs off than I've caught fish with!! :mad3:

Definitely agree about chucking them into tiger territory, unless feeling particularly GUNG HO!!

LOL I've got some Anthrax too - most over rated lure on the market, I reckon! Landed a couple of small bream & that was it!! Now languishing at the bottom of my tackle box!! :ranting2: Luckily I didn't pay top dollar for them! (I think I may have given Slinky his!!) :074:

Edited by Roberta

No point in chucking $20-40 lures deep into tiger country though, it's just gonna hurt - still I do it in the heat of battle.

I have always lived by the motto, if you buy a lure.... use it! I dont buy $20 lures to not use them. Also adds to the heart pounding exhilaration of fighting a fish tight in structure!

I lost my first 'exxy' Jackal Chubby to a lease (BRAND NEW out of the box) with a 'mis cast' ....... It landed on top of flooded racks & I moved it EVER SO SLOWLY so that it wouldn't dive & get snagged, in an effort to bring it back to me to cast again ...... and as it approached the gap between the 2 sets of racks, the water exploded as a bream snatched it, taking it back to the oysters & I busted off! I was GOB SMACKED!! Swore I'd never buy an exxy lure again!! I used to only use them in 'safe areas' ..... if I accidentally landed one 'on the money' - I would yank it away before it got hit - in case I hooked up!! :074: How times have changed!! I chuck stuff all over the place now - even if I am outside the lease & cast across 6 racks!!

Edited by Roberta

Poddy; Im the other way sometimes, as I hate loosing to fish haha. I feel as if sometimes dodgy knots happen and tackle can fail, but when its me on the fish and I drop him or get busted, there has to be a way to fix that and get it next time.

Roberta, I did the same thing with my first megabass lure........ so frustrating but you gotta love seeing it. casting over 6 racks, i can just imagine your face when you hook up 5 racks over!!!!

....​ i can just imagine your face when you hook up 5 racks over....

In one of the leases, sitting on the outside, I can chuck my Sammy right across, nearly to the fence on the other side - so that would be about 10 racks or more!! The concentration is immense - but exhilarating! You know that as the lure approaches the 'water lane' after each rack - to expect a SMACK (I am talking to myself the whole time ....) Damn, it didn't happen on that one, just keep walking the dog, cos I know there are a couple following it ....... when will it hit ...... keep the line tight to the rod ..... not that one ........ oooh, prime spot - should get a hit ....... and then just when you least expect it ...... WHACK ..... done & dusted in a split second!! :bleh:

Roberta x 1 Racks x 9 :074::074: