Top Rock Fishing Spot

The boss and I are in the habit of driving out to Kurnell several times a week to take in the view from the whale spotting station at the end of the road through the national park. Pure soul food. As I am temporarily banned from driving she drove today. As we looked down from the whale spotting station we saw two rock fishermen fishing some pretty hairy spots. Right below an orange Angel Ring mounted on a bracket. They were wearing long trousers and long sleeved shirts that looked like office wear. A bit far away to check if they were wearing rock cleats or boots but they did not seem to be too aware of the dangers of fishing their chosen spot.

Hope they did not strike any trouble.

Anyway the subject of this post is a beautiful spot that we came upon by pure chance. Driving back to Cronulla we passed the road that leads to the De-Salination Plant. On impulse we decided to have a look at how far the road goes.

There are several industrial operations along this road (it is well signposted you cannot miss it travelling North along the Captain Cook Drive). The road in is about 2 Km's long and when you get near the end it looks like it is a dead end. BUT right at the very end the road there is a track to the right that leads to the Boat Harbour Aquatic Reserve. There is ample parking at the end of this track and a veritable smorgasbord of what look to be pretty safe rock fishing spots plus a small beach about half a km South from the parking area.

The track is aok for normal cars, bit of a walk over rough muddy ground to get to the water (we stayed at the parking area and just looked) but if I was a lot younger I would take time to explore the options that are available there. There is a large area of shallow water that looks very fishy and would likely have Bream and Drummer feeding in it at night.

And for the good news, the Reserve website states that fishing is permitted in the Reserve.

Go for it you young guns and post some pics of both the area and what you catch.

Cheers

Paikea

There was a sewer outfall in the same area and I recall seeing some pollution when returning from the Harbour in a boat approx 15 years ago. But that must have been stopped. The water in the area that I saw this morning looked crystal clear.

Also, the inlet for the De-Salination plant is not far from Boat Harbour. Cannot imagine the authorities allowing pollution to continue and contaminate the water supply to the de-sal plant.

Also I drove out to Boat Harbour about 3 months ago (have to pay to enter private property owned by the sand mining company). The water then looked very clear with lots of people swimming.

To summarise, Boat Harbour may have suffered pollution in the past however I am not aware of any being reported in the local papers for years. That is one thing that the locals would go ape over.

Cheers

Paikea

Guest hawkesbass

The main ledge around there is voodoo.

Do a google search on it for info.

To the best of my knowledge too get too voodoo proper is a decent walk and not sure what the actual ledge is like and tides/wind/sea conditions too fish it safely

At the car park walk to the left theres a high ledge and a low be very careful on the low ledge it gets swamped on most swells high ledge is good when swells up but very hard to land fish.there's heeps better spots on the southern side of nulla

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

I have done some more research since my first post on this topic and it appears that the deep water treated sewer outlet is still in operation. Also that the de-sal plant inlet is located not too far away resulting in a report that in an earlier time the de-sal water was found to contain e-coli bacteria. There are several reports on the net describing this and what has been done to fix the problem.

The reports are all dated some years ago so can only assume that either the problem has been solved and there is nothing to worry about or the government is keeping silent about the issue. But they would not do that would they?

I was most interested in the shallow areas at night, not the high ledges. As I mentioned from experience Bream and Drummer often graze these areas at night. Anyway, it would be magic fishing there at night looking toward the lights of Cronulla.

On a more sober note I wonder what impact the massive new residential developments underway in and around Cronulla will have on the infrastructure. Hope that the sewer treatment plant has plenty of spare capacity. If not there will be hell to pay.

Cheers

Paikea