Advice needed: How to fish a strong current

DeanFish

Fellow Raiders,

After spending a heap of time on this site the knowledge to be gained/shared is outstanding. So with that in mind I want to share an issue I have that I am sure you will be able to solve.

I have a fishing spot that produces constantly for me at the mouth of the Hawkesbury at a depth of 10 meters which is great. However i have an issue with it.... The tide is very strong and it requires a 4oz snapper sinker cast way behind the boat just to hold bottom. This works well and i catch fish but i really want to be able to fish the spot with lures (hard body and soft plastic). I have gone as far as throwing out a 2oz jighead with a 5 inch soft plastic. not only does it not look right but does not feel right and as fishing is all about confidence i pull it back in and just retreat to my 4oz sinker with bait as i feel like throwing the 2oz jighead it a waste of time.

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem? I was considering a small 8m deep diver, casting it out and letting it float way back then retrieving is back 2m off the bottom.

Any thoughts guys?

Edited by DeanFish

sounds like your at anchor, have you tried drifting your spot? the current, relative to you/boat will be nil (no wind needed to achieve this) while drifting. casting up-current while at anchor will help you get down too however staying in contact with you lure requires good technique and careful observation. i too like your deep diver idea though i feel that lures going against the current get hit less often, just a feeling. now to really blow your skirt up, faced with this situation while land based i rigged a soft plastic on a worm hook (no lead jig head and the hook point sits flush/weedless against the SP) i then attached a split ring to the eye of the worm hook and the split ring to the back of a Lazer/Raider style lure with the treble removed. this Frankenstein rig did not look or feel right at all but it worked!

good luck and tight lines

AM

10m is fishable with plastics mate. However only on the tide change. You can use baits with heavy lead while the tide runs then on the dot of the tide change you can use plastics for up to an hour or so. Hard running tide will make getting your plastic to the bottom near impossible and if your'e not on the bottom you wont be in with a shot.

Cheers AGP,

Yes, I can get the plastics down at the change. Only issue there is that the bite goes quiet on the change. I hear it all the time that the Jews etc come on at the change but I have fished this spot about 20 times I've the last 12 months and there is to much proof to suggest the change is the worst time to fish this particular spot. I have heard charter guys in the area use sayings like "no run no fun" an in this case I would have to agree.