Whiting on surface lures

jawno

Down at lake conjola at the momment. Was wading around the shallows targeting flathead and bream around drop offs when I kept seeing big schools of sandy's. Some real decent suckers too.

Having just lures on me I kept tempting them with an atomic 50mm walker, zman grubz, a squidgie lobby and a lucky craft sammy. No bingo. First time in ages I wish ibhad some bait.

I was told that whiting like chasing things so I was working the lures pretty quick with short pauses. Tried a couplw of other retrieves as well but no bingo. Whats the secret?

I ended up fishing for 4 hrs and landed an undersize flatty. Missed two others becuase I thought they were weed/snags. Littleys to though.

Thanks,

Whiting will bite on the small see through (clear) lures pulled along at a steady pace. No pauses. Sometimes they will follow the lure right up to the boat and hit the lure at the last minute.

Try different speeds.

Good Luck

Cheers

Paikea

Hi Jawno, the whiting in lake conjola can be easily spooked mainly due to christmas boat traffic and very clear water,in the past it was recommended to use a short stiff leader to help the popper to track straight but i have had much more success using finness fishing techniques and longer finer leaders in the 4lbs class.bassday sugar pens and nw pencils have been the topwater lures of choice and should be retrieved at a fair pace with no pauses,this is the key, you must keep the lure moving at all times, try to imitate a skipping prawn. Also try to fish with the sun in your face,not behind you as your sillouette will be very visible to the fish and fish your popper with the tide. all the best cheers troutboy

Thanks for the tips. I got a few follows with a diving 40mm hard body as well.

I wanted to catch one so I bought some worms the second day. First thing in the morning, water very calm, sight casting at the whiting but nup not interested. Later in the day when walking back through the shallows I saw them again and rigged up a small sinker and circle hook on 5lb line. Sure enough they were on the chew and I hooked a small one. It was quite choppy then as well which was helping hide the sinkers plonk. The choppyness made it hard to work the floating minnows.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ditto troutboys comments. Just came back from there today. The good thing with whiting no boat required just stalk the flats. Maybe check my post in the lure and fly section and also another one a few weeks back on the same topic.

If you are coming back through Nowra, head into the tackle store and ask them about whiting on poppers they carry the ones troutboy is talking about.

Happy for you to pm me about Conjola whiting on poppers....