First trolling session 2014

Scent Blazer Lures

1st trolling session of 2014, Kingies, Dollies, Marlin Strike – Sydney Offshore Hey Raiders, Happy New Year.

First game fishing session of 2014, 3-1-2014 and we're off to good start. Arrived at Sydney Heads around 3pm and as you might have guessed by now we don't get up early, we sleep in and fish the afternoons.

Water was a little choppy and only a small swell. Nice blue water around 22 degrees was only about half a mile out, so we put our lures straight in. Our spread consisted of four 6 inch Scent Blazer Nano Lure chains and one larger 10 inch purple lure for a marlin or something that’s interested in a bigger lure. The lures chains have been working really well, they look like small bait fish schools and get the fish biting, so why change.

We headed north east towards the Whale FAD, when we got there, there were 2 boats casting lures around it so we kept a wide berth and just kept trolling NE.

About 30 minutes later about half a mile from Manly Hydraulics we hooked up on nice Kingie, which went around 15-18lb. Kept trolling around the area and kept picking up kingies, all different sizes, 6lb, 4lb, 2lb and one small Dolphin Fish as well.

It went quiet for a little while before a sprinkler (Stripped Marlin) showed up behind of the one lure chains, we hooked up and it peeled about 200 metres of line off before settling down. Only 2 of us on-board so I left the rod in the holder and I cleared the gear to get ready to back down on it, by the time gear was cleared unfortunately it had thrown the hook, still its bloody exciting.

Just a tip, even if you trying to target big fish I would always run a small lure somewhere in your spread. In the last few weeks every fish we kept had it's stomach full of pilchards and small slimey mackerel, I am guessing the Marlin would be feeding on those baits at times as well. Quite often Marlin will take the smallest lure in the spread. Think about it, if you are hungry you going eat a big meal if you are not you will have a snack. You don’t know what the fish out have been eating, they could be full or famished.

We kept trolling a little while longer and started trolling back towards Sydney Heads, we got 2 small dolphin fish on the way back. One was hooked only about 1 mile from Sydney Heads.

Have a successful 2014 of fishing and if you would like to try Scent Blazer Lures for yourself you can get a 5 lure rigged pack which is ideal for Dolphin Fish and Small Marlin for only $99.99.

Happyhook ups for 2014 Raiders!

Peter

Scent Blazer Lures

1_Trolling_Sydney.jpg

Leaving Sydney Harbour for a afternoon trolling session.

2_Scent_Blazer_Trolling_lures.jpg

Lures we used. We’ve been running Scent Blazer trolling lure chains with great success.

They look like a small school of bait fish, the pelagic having been striking them like crazy.

3_ScentBlazer_trolling_with_real_bait_in

Put pilchards inside the stinger lure of the trolling lure chain to

make the stinger the most appetising of the 3 lures in the chain.

4_Nice_kingfish_fullsize.jpg

Nice Yellowtail kingfish for the first fish of the day.

5_Kingie_on_ScentBlazer_trolling_lure.jp

Another nice kingie.

6_Kingfish_caught_on_Scent_Blazer_trolli

Kingie caught on Scent Blazer trolling lure chain.

7-small_kingfish_caugh_on_scent_blazer_t

Even the really small kingies couldn’t resist our Scent Blazer lures.

8_Dolphin_Fish_caught_on_Scent_Blazer_tr

Caught a couple of Dolphin Fish during our trolling session as well,

only small but they always fun to catch.

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Nice Kings there Pete, pity about the marlin.

I was out Saturday and dollies were in close right between the heads. My mate and I caught about 30 each in roughly 2 hours using SP's on light gear.

Biggest was only 53cm though but great entertainment watching them jump around.

I hope they stick around for the summer.

hey, we vary our troll speed to suit the conditions, if its really choppy we go around 5-6 knots, if its smooth around 7-8 knots. The best thing to do is just watch lures and then determine, you want the lures popping and smoking. In choppy water they seem to do that at a slower speed.

Also your electronics will be out when you are tolling in rough conditions, because your electronics will give you a SOG (speed over ground) reading, but I would assume that SOG is a flat surface. So in choppy, rough conditions your sounder might be displaying 6 knots but in actually fact you are travelling at 8 - 9 knots because it calculates the boat travelling on a flat surface not a wavy one. So you're best bet is always is too look at the lures in the water and try to get a nice smooth, popping and smoking action.

yeah pity about the marlin, but that's fishing, lots of small fish out there ATM and lots of bait, there will be more marlin in amongst them :) Great thing is they are pretty close in ATM. Will try again soon.

Peter

Hey Tailor, could just be our camera, it might have some sort of auto color correction set on it

The kingy was a dark royal blue, but a really nice blue, I must admit even in real life it was an electric kind of blue

just a thought maybe they change color a bit depending on the water type. i.e. they are darker and duller in the harbour and bluer and brighter in the ocean to match the water type, adapting to suit the environment kind of thing

peter

Got my Parcel within 3 days ( 5 Scent Blazer Lures & the Bonus teaser ) Excellent and very fast Delivery , so I'm going to try them out in the next day or two. Like Big Kevin saying was : I'm Exited . Ill keep you posted . Cheers. Oziodin