Need help with a eel ID.( Pike Eel)

Blackdragon

Question

Hi,

went to the hawksbury last night and caught nothing but a monster eel.

I dont have a pic due to it already being cut up and packed in the freezer.

Hope someone can ID the eel before i cook it and grow a second head or something.

Its got a head that has a long snout almost like a hairtail.

Its silver, but body is round and long.

Has a dorsal fin that starts mid way aka i know its an eel.

About 5 inches diameter.

about 4.5 feet in lenght.

Weighs approx 6 to 7 kilo.

This thing is solid like a pyhton.

Caught at Bay 1 near the Oyster leases.

The flesh is white and looks good to eat but i guess better to ask then not lol.

20 answers to this question

Btw for our raiders out there.

If you ever land one of these becareful.

They try and bite you out of water.

Took a rubber priest and a wooden spoon to put it on ice.

I wooden like to be the spoon . It was toast.

But it was fun to see grown man aka friends huddled on oneside of the boat while you deal with this agro.

Note for future reference mate, if you're going to take something home to eat it, wouldn't you be better off taking something you know? LOL, I sure wouldn't go to Woolies and buy an unmarked can of sea creature then cook it and eat it! Eel does taste nice I agree, but what if it was something protected or poisionus?

Just my 2c

True thanks for the advice. it looked meaty and the old folks worried me u know. It also wasnt on my boat limit chart so i went cools.

For poisonous thats why i am asking the wealth of knowledge in fishraiders :). I like eating stuff I havent before. Also now i can add another catch to my tally Pike Eel lol.

I am a bit like Andrew Zimmern , i go out of my way to try new things and so i have tried more fish then almost anyone here. now , the fact that i can cook also helps allot , a fat eel like yours will make good eating , get your self one of those packs of fancy seasoned breadcrums salt the cuttlets or fillets a bit and let stand for 2 hours , salt will make a big difference and a small amount never killed anyone by the way , so flour, egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs and straight into a medium heat canola oil , cook till golden , a squeeze of lemon juice and a cool drink , and do tell the folks here how good it is , yes?

Edited by leonardgid

That's why I am eating mine, trying to take them of the gangs that I use makes it worth while.

Flathead what would be the best way to de-slime the thing?

I will post a pic of the dish as soon as I cook it with the pic of a cold one :).

Thanks heaps for the tip.

Ya mackerel I had yellow tail too.

I think my heart was beating more with the fight in the boat rather then on the line lol. ( being my first Pike eel ).

Nice one Plummo boy.

Mine was around the same size I would say maybe smaller depending on how tall you are lol.

Did you find there was soooooo much bones in this eel lol.

Meat was good.

It was a great recipy that I will keep in my rep from now on Thanks Leonardgid.

I got rid of the slime by actually freezing it then wash under water and the slime came off.

A wife's tail that worked. Thanks for your other suggestions I got to it before the post :).

As promised I have cooked it. Here is the pic.

Hmmmm how do you post a pic lol. haven't done it in such a long time.

Edited by Blackdragon

There should be a button under where you post your message which says "choose a file", click that then select the photo from your computer. After you have selected your picture press the button underneath that which says "attach file". Wait for it to attach then press the post button.

Hope that helps.

Luc.

Found pike eel for sale in the markets 11.99 per kilo lol. Next one I get will be smoked thanks for the suggestion was havinb that idea on many a eels. Btw for us new guys smoke to a couple of old knowledgeable blokes, they told me when u start catching these eels the water is to cold. You need to go elsewhere. If the water is a tea colour move. If you see a lot of jellyfish move. If you catch the yucky tedpole catfish move. What say you?