Big Carp on surface lure!

Dave_

G'day again Raiders,

I took the day off work today so I decided to make the most of it and got up early to chase Bass. I went to one of the spots I've been cleaning up at of an arvo but the Bass were quiet.

I moved on to another spot just as the cicadas started singing. As usual I got a couple of Bass to 35cm on the Taylor Made surface breaker but as the sun rose higher the fish shut down.

I changed to the River 2 Sea Beetle as it dives just under the surface and first cast a 40+cm Bass drilled it only to shake the hook at the bank.

Just before my next cast I noticed a big Carp half beaching itself on the bank eating rotting plant matter so I had a crazy idea to float the beetle down past it's mouth. As soon as it seen the beetle it slowly sucked it in to my amazement.

20 minutes later I landed the beast. Unreal fight on 6lb and seemed to go harder on the lure. 71cm and would have to be 4kg. Has anyone had a similar experience? This could be a new style of fishing and I'll certainly be trying it again.

post-32123-0-61542500-1389747989_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-75070400-1389748017_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-96309000-1389748036_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-80248000-1389748056_thumb.jpg

Well done, not a common target but have heard of them being landed on wakebaits, jitterbugs and small poppers. I'm not sure exactly which lures as people that land them often don't show the lure at all.

So it does happen. I caught one on a Jackall chubby a couple of years ago but I never imagined getting one on surface, it was awesome watching it eat the lure.

I guess this is why so many people love chasing them on fly.

Edited by Dave_

Good one Dave,

I did a similar thing a few years back when I saw one shallow water. I find suspending minnows work a treat. They generally won't react to the lure and take it on the way past like a bass, you have to bring into the fishes view slowly and let it sit still. Sometimes they will slurp it up and other times the will completely turn their noses up at them. I've had them take plastics as well. I now get more doing this than I do with bait, clear relatively shallow water is the go. Once you start looking for them its amazing how may you will see.

post-30441-0-42593000-1389754597_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have cast every lure, surface, diving, spinner at those horrible things and never had one take a lure... I've always been certain they must (and this proves it) but I'm yet to land a carp on a lure.

I've seen them jumping, feeding and milling around in shallows and deeper water but have never been able to tempt one...

One day horrible carp....... one day!

Carp seem to be loving all types of lures at the moment! Since spring ive had carp smash Tn60's, mask vibes, spinnerbaits AND surface paddlers!

Before spring i never thought a carp would touch a lure. Certainly changed my mind! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...