Murray Cod on fly personal challenge

foolforjesus

Inspired by Stewy's post of that magnificent Murray Cod caught on fly, I got thinking it was high time I cracked an Aussie native species.

For all too long now, I've been focused on the loved/hated Trout. (which I personally love).

I've been aware of the Murray Cod for quite some time now, however the other personal challenge I've set myself, which takes up all my allocated fishing time (to crack a 10lb Trout) has unfortunately not come about yet, although I'm getting close!

I am a keen fly fisherman, and after watching some clips on the internet of people catching Murray Cod, I must say it looks very exciting.

Other than the Macquarie river & Windermere dam, neither of which I've ever fished, is there anywhere else within a days round driving trip of Sydney where you can have a crack at the mighty Murray Cod?

Any information or tips would be hugely appreciated.

I'm not asking for peoples top secret spots, just point me in the right direction and I'll figure out the rest.

Even if anyone knows of a stocked dam etc where I could get my first taste of the Murray Cod, that would be awesome.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

G'day Chris,

I can't help with specific spots but just a couple of tips on gear, having done the challenge myself....

9wt rod is ideal (you'll be casting heavy and/or very wind resistant flies)

Shooting head lines make long casts with minimal room for backcasting a lot easier (as well as delivering those big flies well)

First time I tried I had a 10wt (too heavy) with standard wt forward lines (hard to cast with only room for a small amount of line out from the tip). When I switched to the 9 wt/shooting head combo it all came together and was much more fun to fish with.

Codmunchies.jpg

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slinky,

Nice reel! I have one myself in a 2/6wt. You probably know, you can get a small arbor spool for the Velocity, which suits for larger wt lines. Versatile reel the ol Lamson Velocity!

I have an 8-9wt rod, but its one from my early fly fishing days (20 years old), so its a bit long at 10.5 feet and probably not as firm as today's rods.

I'm gonna grab a 9wt in 9ft for this mission, which will double for the salt.

Cheers for the tips,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

I'll pm send you acpm when I get back home but if your prepared to head to Bathurst sofala I have a few spots on the rivers up there. Your also in with a chance on yellas and trout cod (catch and release only)

Cheers Royce

Hi Royce,

I just saw your reply, sorry for the late response.

Thanks for the kind offer, I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I live in Sydney also but would love to catch a murray cod! I don't post much but would appreciate any tips for where to start in the Bathurst/Sofala/Wyangla area. I love bushwalking so I'm happy to do some walking if it gets me to the right areas!

I have family in Bathurst and visit regularly. I'm a 100% catch and release fisherman!

Thanks!

Ozzie

• 10 months later...