[NSW] [Sydney] Rosebay & Watson Bay

LearningFisher112

Anyone know good fishing spots to catch breams, whitings, and flatheads? Looking to get that species on my 2-4kg fishing rod.

I had plans to fish at Rose Bay and Watsons Bay but read this report: http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/keeping-food-safe/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood/#recommended-max-intake

Sydney habour contains toxins.

Does anyone know locations that they don't mind sharing and have toxic-free waters, as I would like to eat my catches :)

Also, does anyone know if the crabs on the rocks are eatable in kiama?

LOL you talking about those dark purple/brown crabs you see scurrying around eating left over scraps and bird poopings? :D

Yeah you can eat them, but they don't taste that great and are crap bait also :)

Just my two bobs worth: the Govt. report you linked to also gives levels for fish caught EAST of the bridge. I'm not going to go into weather these guidelines are right or wrong but they are there and have been developed based on scientific research and statistical interpretation.

What I gathered from this was that the buildup of dioxins are accumulative and there are some levels of conservatism built into the risk assessment. But If you eat a greater amount than recommended once in a blue moon it may not have any impact. It was the Sydney harbour fisho's who worked the harbour for years who had elevated dioxin levels in the blood, and the old blokes had more than the younger ones (this indicates it builds up in the body and doesn't really go away)

So when fishing east of the harbour, do consider this government recommendation. Take from it what you will. Also, some of the fish tested were caught at common harbour locations like Clifton gardens and balmoral so you could consider the the problem would be throughout the harbour with the fish migration. Though it wasn't as bad as around homebush bay.

I don't want to be a scare monger but also think we still need to be reminded of this ourselves and not to just tell people that it is fine.

Maybe if I could actually catch more than this recommendation I might have to reconsider :)

Dan

Anyone know good fishing spots to catch breams, whitings, and flatheads? Looking to get that species on my 2-4kg fishing rod.

I had plans to fish at Rose Bay and Watsons Bay but read this report: http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/keeping-food-safe/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood/#recommended-max-intake

Sydney habour contains toxins.

Does anyone know locations that they don't mind sharing and have toxic-free waters, as I would like to eat my catches :)

you have to be hungry to eat the little crabs of the rocks leave them for the fish they have to eat to

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you're prepared to get wet, pick a warm day and wade out to your waist casting soft plastics into the boats which are moored near the kayak hire place. Good flathead spot.

Only problem is if it's too nice you'll be dodging kayakers!