Whiting

krause

Hi all,

Looking to target some whitting soon. Havent seen one since, well.... forever! The plan is to try the flats at the entance or windang inlets and see what goes. Planning on using live worms and small bits of peeled prawn. Just wondering about lures thats all. I have recently bought a 2500 reel and spooled it with 3lb braid in the hope of using small lures for whiting and bream etc. Just wondering what and how? I know that you hve to keep the lure going pretty fast and consistant, and that poppers are good. Does anyone have a recomendation on brand/style/size/colour of the lure? Any help or advice would be awesome! Also, what about vibes and other mid water lures? And whilst im at it, is there a preference on tides and type of worm? Ill do a quick search as well.

Cheers and regards!

The whiting should be on the beaches at the moment a rising tide and beach worms should get you some

Lures my most consistent lure for whiting is an austackle shinku in bondi brown or the more expensive tiemco stick minnow in 007 other good ones are ecogear sx40 in colour 309 and the ecogear zx 30 or zx 35 shrimp blades you don't need to work these lure fast just a couple of flicks and pauses Do a search on whiting on surface and you will find plenty of info

When it comes to bait, if you've got blood worms and nippers you're doing well. About 2 years ago for a period they didn't want know about worms, only nippers, and I was throwing away $20 worth of worms at the end of the session. Tube worms are also very good.

Also have a couple of red beads above the hook, apparently this excites whiting. Last whiting outing I had a couple of weeks ago really took me and my buddy by suprise. Where we would usually catch 6-7 whiting and the odd bream, instead we caught 6 bream and got 1 whiting, so it just depends if they're out and feeding.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Small surface poppers and blades will work on whiting and bream, the blades more so on bream. The worms should be your best bet and as FishingPhase said small red or orange beads above the long shank hook. Fish as light as possible in terms of sinkers and leaders, fluorocarbon is a must - 10lb at the most. Hope you nail a few!

Great tips there guys :) (from somebody who is also trying to figure out whiting)

My daughter and I have been using squid for bait cut into "worms", they seem to like that as well but sofar my daughter and I are usually too slow to land them - they seem to like spitting the hook? So from my little knowledge, dont back off the line retrieve once you have one on it, thats when we keep losing them.

Locally here the guys all seem to run yabbies/nippers? (not sure what you call them) taken using a pump at low tide along with worms taken at low tide here. Those guys are the ones who seem to fish for a hour or 2 and walk home with quite a few nice sized whiting - They make it look easy! and it seems a very successful way of fishing from what Ive seen (I will have to pull a couple over and interrogate them I think :D ) Ive been told a few times that those yabbie things are the "gun bait" for them though from my neighbour, but even using "squid worms" Im usually baited every 3rd or 4th cast by whiting around high tide

If you are finding that whiting are giving you trouble try circle hooks, loosen the drag.

The whiting down in windang have been preferring fresh prawns peeled and nippers this session.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate thats some great advice. I do have some circle hooks but they are too big for whiting (more legal bream/flathead sized I think). I guess I might visit my old friend Mr Ebay again :D

Dont suppose you could help me out with a hook size to chase?

Thanks mate thats some great advice. I do have some circle hooks but they are too big for whiting (more legal bream/flathead sized I think). I guess I might visit my old friend Mr Ebay again :D

Dont suppose you could help me out with a hook size to chase?

A good size for whiting would be size 4, 6 or 8 (8 being the smallest) in circles and longshanks. I prefer longshanks, when the rod loads up lift the tip and keep it up, don't strike hard or you'll miss the fish. With circles you don't strike at all and let the fish hook themselves, once the rod loads up keep the rod tip up.

Good luck!

Hi all, most whiting are caught well away from any structure,usually over a sandy bottom so lighten your leader to 4lbs maximum, you will get many more bites with lighter leader. When using baits whiting have a habbit of taking the bait and turning away so the use of small circle hooks is a great idea.A small red bead running directly above the hook is there to help the fish locate the bait and is a good idea if using nippers as they will try to burrow into the sand and the moving bead helps the fish notice the bait.Light mainlines and leaders ,the smallest sinker you can get away with and conceal your hook well and you should have a lot more success

cheers troutboy

Hi Krause,

The last 2 weeks at various places on the mid north coast, my mate and I have been using river2sea poppers 35mm and 45mm and atomic crank38 mid divers in orange, green, red & white. Have caught a few thumper whiting between us up to 47cm.

post-24974-0-66417000-1390168910_thumb.jpg

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers everyone. Thanks for the info, makes it a little easier if you have a foot hole on the topic. I was reading an old post that said use your lure 'with' the tide. Does this infer retreive or cast with the tide? Also is it a chase of using tiny split shot sinkers if possible?

With lightweight lures that you plan on weighting down with a small sinker - Should the sinker be above the leader, or should it be allowed to "kiss" the lure on the leader itself perhaps even tied directly above the lure so its not "running"?

Maybe its a preference thing - I have no idea I havnt tried sinkers on lures before but is there a general accepted way of doing it or a way people generally prefer.....?

Sorry if i have confused that last message. The split shots are for bait, not lures.

I did once try to weight down a topwater lure. Dont! it just destroys their action. I have since bought a light combo to help use light lures.

Just a quick refresh, because there is a sale on atm. If I buy whiting lures, I should chase;

"austackle shinku in bondi brown or the more expensive tiemco stick minnow in 007 other good ones are ecogear sx40 in colour 309 and the ecogear zx 30 or zx 35 shrimp blades"

As posted avove. Are these ok, any additions? Cheers guys