Help! Fishing tips!

LearningFisher112

Hey everyone :banana:

I just had my first fishing trip and I wanted to ask for some tips.

When a fish nibbles your bite, you can feel it.
When a fish eats your bite, you can feel it.

When you think a fish has eaten your bite (and hook) what is the next steps?

Give it a fast and hard pull and spin, or take it slow and gently? I had more success with the latter one but still unsure what works.

The target was bream and whitings.

Also what is the purpose of the front drag knob? and when should it be used and adjusted?

Depends on your rig,

Standard hooks, a short sharp jerk to set the hook when you feel a bite.....if you can ignore the tiny nibbles and jerk on the heavier bites you'll catch more :D Then reel in steadily keeping the rod tip up and tension on the line. The front drag knob is used so that when the fish runs it relieves the tension on the line so it does not snap, so set it to a setting where it allows line out when you pull it when a bit of force. Tighten it if you just want to skull drag the fish in :P

Circle Hooks, lift the rod tip up to apply tension so the hook sets and then copy the same retrieval procedure above, making sure that the line never goes slack as hooks can dislodge when the fish shakes it's head or rubs up on something.

#6 hooks i find a bit small but they will do the job.

As for rig, it depends where you are fishing, but general get up is a standard running rig i.e Sinker above swivel then swivel to hook.

My preference when targeting Whiting and Bream are #1 circle hooks.

Drag i set as light possible as i like to have fun while fishing.

I use #6 long shanks for whiting, tho it depends on the bait, bigger bait = bigger hook. For whiting I like a paternoster rig with 2 hooks and sometimes a red bead (not 100% it helps but it doesn't hurt) above the hook.

For bream the best rig is no sinker at all, just a hook, maybe a few small split shot to help it sink if it's windy, but that depends on depth and current of where you are fishing. If it's too deep or windy/strong current then a running sinker with the #1 hook is the go.

Lungfai's advice on the way to hook the fish is spot on.

if you need to cast then you'll need a sinker, if you're fishing around piers for bream then you can drop it straight down with no sinker, they love a natural bait and always hide around the pylons.

generally with a running sinker around a meter between the swivel and the hook is good.

So generally, a sinker is not required? But how do you cast the line if there is hardly any weight?

So for the rig:

Loose Sinker (very small weight) -> swivel -> line -> hook

My question is, how long should the link be between the swivel and hook?

You need lighter lines or braid, and the weight of the bait coupled with a very small ball sinker on top of the hook propels the bait a short distance.

In this scenario I'd have 70cm of leader, but it's up to your personal preference.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

generally with a running sinker around a meter between the swivel and the hook is good.

What type of sinker do you recommend for beam and whiting?

From my observation, breams tend to be up in the water and whitings are usually below the water?

I have many different sinkers such as; circle rounded, teardrop with a attachment hook, and a oval shaped one.

Your rig should be based on your fishing location.

I fish in shallow water 1m or so where i wade out and the current is weak so i rig up with just a swivel and a hook and let the bait drift, the weight of the swivel and bait will usually do the trick of sinking the bait down for the foraging whiting to take.

In medium currents i add on a small splitshot sinker to assist in the drop.

In Strong currents i add on medium sized ball sinker, reason why i use ball sinkers is because it lets the bait move along with the current which makes it look more natural.

Use as light line as possible, black swivels that do not reflect sunlight, and either red tubing or red beads to attract (not proven to work).

Whiting and Bream both will eat from the floor and will also hit the surface so you don't have to worry so much whether to fish bottom or top water. Have a burley trail to keep the fish interested as they move on if there is nothing to keep them there. They are forages after all :)

Experiment with the area you are fishing and you'll figure out what rig to use and when.

Good luck out there.

Also, should a 2 hook rig be used in this scenario? using a dropper loop?

yeah, I only use 2 hooks on a paternoster rig, with 2 dropper loops and the sinker on the bottom. The leader length depends on your main line. if you use mono main line, as long as it's not too heavy you could just tie your paternoster right onto your main line, you don't need to really worry so much about flurocarbon leader and keeping the main line away from the hooks. But if you use braid for main line (not recommended for beginners) then you do need to have a fair distance between any hooks and the braid main line. You could stick to a simple single hook running sinker and catch both species you're after though.

What sort of water are you planning to fish? it makes a big difference to your rig.

yeah, I only use 2 hooks on a paternoster rig, with 2 dropper loops and the sinker on the bottom. The leader length depends on your main line. if you use mono main line, as long as it's not too heavy you could just tie your paternoster right onto your main line, you don't need to really worry so much about flurocarbon leader and keeping the main line away from the hooks. But if you use braid for main line (not recommended for beginners) then you do need to have a fair distance between any hooks and the braid main line. You could stick to a simple single hook running sinker and catch both species you're after though.

What sort of water are you planning to fish? it makes a big difference to your rig.

Both saltwater and freshwater. Would be good to know both rig for future referencing :biggrin2:

I always see whitting tackle kits consisting of teardrop sinkers, but it seems that only a low sinker or no sinker at all should be used.

Both saltwater and freshwater. Would be good to know both rig for future referencing :biggrin2:

I always see whitting tackle kits consisting of teardrop sinkers, but it seems that only a low sinker or no sinker at all should be used.

Think he was asking what water conditions :P Beach, Estuary, Sand Flats etc

The tear drop sinkers are fine, if i recall they have a swivel attachment that helps it slide along the line and i would class them as medium to small.

The 2 hook Rig is generally used on the beaches where you want the bait to stay in the gutter and not washed back onto shore but you can use it wherever you choose if you have the time to rig it up. I'd rather have my line in the water than in my hands so hooking on just 1 bait on a running rig is much more efficient.

Think he was asking what water conditions :P Beach, Estuary, Sand Flats etc

The tear drop sinkers are fine, if i recall they have a swivel attachment that helps it slide along the line and i would class them as medium to small.

The 2 hook Rig is generally used on the beaches where you want the bait to stay in the gutter and not washed back onto shore but you can use it wherever you choose if you have the time to rig it up. I'd rather have my line in the water than in my hands so hooking on just 1 bait on a running rig is much more efficient.

Oh right.. Haha..

A lagoon, lake, wharfs, quite clam waters but it still drags the line with weight on it.

What is a "running rig"?

I've done a search on paternoster rig, and it resulted in two different types.

Rig One:

offshorerig.gif

Rig Two:

Untitled-2.jpg

At the moment, I've been using Rig One with only 1 end hook.

Rig 1 with 1 hook is a Running Rig :D

When you say "Calm Waters" do you mean no waves?

The Rig is meant to move so the bait travels with the current and finds a fish, if you find the current too strong and your rig ends up right angles to you then try a heavier sinker.

If landbased and fishing for whiting try on a rising tide, this is when they come onto the sand flats to forage for food. Probably why the whiting kits have small to medium sinkers.

Rig 1 with 1 hook is a Running Rig :D

When you say "Calm Waters" do you mean no waves?

The Rig is meant to move so the bait travels with the current and finds a fish, if you find the current too strong and your rig ends up right angles to you then try a heavier sinker.

If landbased and fishing for whiting try on a rising tide, this is when they come onto the sand flats to forage for food. Probably why the whiting kits have small to medium sinkers.

Similar to this I guess:

calm-water-at-dusk_medium.jpg

You can still see the water run, but there are no waves. Should sinkers be used in this situation?

rig 1 allows the bait to move freely though the water and lets the fish grab it and run for a bit before swallowing it and feeling no line resistance possibly spooking it into spitting the bait

rig 2 would be more towards the bottom or middle of the water column. You cant really fish the top of the water colum with them so easily unless you can cast a rig with a 20metre leader for depths of say 18metres

So the idea in "Rig Two" is to get the sinker to the bottom and let the hooks swivel there?

Yeah that's the idea.

But the idea in "Rig One" is to allow it to float in mid water, or close to the surface?

No, this rig is also designed to get the bait to the bottom, how fast it goes down depends on your sinker and the current.

Test both rigs and see which you prefer as it comes down to preferences.

Myself i save the Paternoster for boat fishing where you let the rig drop to the bottom, give it a few cranks to get it off the floor to prevent snags as the boat drifts. Keeps the bait in the zone but away from snags. Also beach fishing with a star sinker to keep the bait in the gutter and the second hook attachment is a surf popper.

Everything else i use the Running Rig or the Free Fall Rig (my name for a swivel and hook only rig)

Any rig will catch fish, it really just comes down to how comfortable you are with it.