flurocarbon

FranticD

Hi,

Just wanted to get anyones opinion on what is the most effective flurocarbon leader they use?

I want to purchase it for targeting whiting..

I was going to go with Berkley Vanish, but if anyone else has any opinions, please share.

Also, ive been using Power Pro braid... it seems to knot up easily when im using soft plastics.. anyone else have experience with this?

Nitlon flourocarbon is a quality product which I've been using until recently. I bought some vanish myself to give it a go.

If you're talking about wind knots in your braid after repeated casts, that's because braid gets wound on the spool with little or no tension, then after a while it comes off in clumps. Personally fireline did the trick for me on my lure outfits, so I haven't had the need to look elsewhere.

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find vanish is only good in the higher breaking strain 14lb + the smaller stuff breaks so easy at the knot.

For 2, 4, 6lb i have had great success with FC rock.

I just tied some 6lb vanish to a swivel and applied a decent amount of pressure with my man hands expecting it to pop.

Held fine.

Harry

I also had very a poor experience with Vanish in 8 and 10lb, also snapping at the knot repeatedly. I haven't tried it in the heavier stuff because I'm not keen to touch it now.

I've had no problem with Black Magic using 8 and 30lb and I also use Sunline Siglon and FC Rock. FC Rock can be pricey but you get what you pay for.

How long ago did you guys have this bad expirience with vanish?If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Mate, it would have to be 18 months or more since I got the first 8lb spool of Vanish. After repeated knot failures it had me thinking I had dud batch so I got a spool of 10lb from a different store and had the same drama. It was just so brittle that sometimes it would snap when tightening a knot by hand even though it was lubricated.

Maybe I was just unlucky and bought 2 dud spools but it seems unlikely. I honestly just ended up turfing both spools.

Edited by Dave_

I'm another who hasn't had a good time with vanish, good alternatives above, for me I use the Japanese stuff in lower breaking strains (sunline, fc rock, nitlon) and black magic 30lb and over.

I find good old fire line fine for light work, 4 & 6lb and cheap enough you can replace it fairly often too. To get a bit more use try swapping it end for end using a battery drill and a couple of old spools.

Hi,

Just wanted to get anyones opinion on what is the most effective flurocarbon leader they use?

I want to purchase it for targeting whiting..

I was going to go with Berkley Vanish, but if anyone else has any opinions, please share.

Also, ive been using Power Pro braid... it seems to knot up easily when im using soft plastics.. anyone else have experience with this?

Been using FC rock sunline for years. Does the job awesome. never had any issues.

How long ago did you guys have this bad expirience with vanish?

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Was over 12 months ago, have never gone back to it. I still use the 14lb stuff for flatties though and no problem.

Yet to break 6lb FC rock, even on those Parra river bream. :)

Edited by tasksta

Dick Lewers, the retired fishing journalist of some repute stated in his last article that he didn't really like fluorocarbon in general as he felt that it was too brittle. He recommended using good quality mono instead.

I have to vouch for the quality fluorocarbons. Whilst fishing land based I had a king scrape some 16lb FC rock leader up and down some oysters, I was thinking to myself "oh well, just keep fighting til the leader gives in". 5 or so minutes later I land the fish. The leader had some of its diameter shaved away, but still held.

Another scenario, 6lb nitlon copping non stop head shakes from a 40cm flathead as I'm pulling it up from the water at Clifton gardens onto the warf. Again my brain says to me "don't expect to get this fish up, he'll saw thru that leader by the time you get him up" again the leader held.

So the quality stuff is pretty awesome.

Just a reminder guys that all mono and flouro to a lesser extent degrades quite quickly with exposure to direct sunlight and UV rays,So to retain all the breaking strength of the line you have make sure it is stored somewhere dark and cool. Sometimes the spools of leader have been stored on a rack under constant flourescent light exposure for an extended period of time before purchase from the tackle shop so i try to use brands that have a higher turnover rate to lessen the degree of degradation during display or storage

cheers troutboy

Just a reminder guys that all mono and flouro to a lesser extent degrades quite quickly with exposure to direct sunlight and UV rays,So to retain all the breaking strength of the line you have make sure it is stored somewhere dark and cool. Sometimes the spools of leader have been stored on a rack under constant flourescent light exposure for an extended period of time before purchase from the tackle shop so i try to use brands that have a higher turnover rate to lessen the degree of degradation during display or storage

cheers troutboy

Good point mate. We don't truly know the spools age or exposure to the elements when we purchase it but I will say there's definitely a huge difference in quality FC and the crap stuff.

Why not use swivels? Always thought it is easier and I would assume its strong if both knots are solid, and if you're using a swivel anyway wouldn't it be best place to put it as a joiner.

It's just an extra component, that I have found is not required. Each to their own I guess. I do use swivels on occasion depending on the rig, but for flat out lure fishing it's braid to leader, leader to jighead/lure.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...