flurocarbon

FranticD

Flourocarbon has more abrasive resistance because it's not as soft, so it will handle more of any abuse from the teeth of a fish right up to scraping against rock etc

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Ahh, very informative post. Think i'll pick up some next paycheck

• 1 month later...

have been using vanish and only vanish all the time for leaders , the thing with it is to wet everything before you start to pull the knot tight , do that and make sure that you have made a good full blood knot and you will find it to be good stuff.

I have to vouch for the quality fluorocarbons. Whilst fishing land based I had a king scrape some 16lb FC rock leader up and down some oysters, I was thinking to myself "oh well, just keep fighting til the leader gives in". 5 or so minutes later I land the fish. The leader had some of its diameter shaved away, but still held.

Another scenario, 6lb nitlon copping non stop head shakes from a 40cm flathead as I'm pulling it up from the water at Clifton gardens onto the warf. Again my brain says to me "don't expect to get this fish up, he'll saw thru that leader by the time you get him up" again the leader held.

So the quality stuff is pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've changed my mind on FC. I had a 20lb trace attached via swivel to 20lb FC of, admittedly, unknown pedigree, tied to 120 meters of 12lb braid which I had top shot on 50 meters of 8lb mono. My mystery fish took off and, in one long run, peeled off the braid and 20 meters of the mono backing, which I won back over the next 10 minutes. 20 meters away from colour, it took off again in 3 mighty surges, taking all the line I had won back, and then some. Then it lit the afterburners! It was the mono that parted company with the reel. All trace, leader, braid and knots held fine. But the mono couldn't cope with the tension. Needless to say, I've completely respooled with braid and FC leader. No more mono for me.

Edited by GreyNurse