Hacking 41cm PB Whiting

JET01

My mate was kind enough to pump some nippers for me yesterday, but due to the windy conditions we decided to put the fishing off until this morning. His father in law is over from Canada and is a pretty keen angler himself.

We hit the flats with an out going tide, normally we prefer to fish the incoming, but as Australia Day will see our favourite spot covered in revellers we thought we'd try something new.

I picked up a new rod yesterday specifically for flats fishing and was really keen to try it out. lox yoshi 1-3 7'6.

The nippers didn't fair too well over night and most of them had died. After about 20 mins with no action I decided to move up the bank a few meters to where I could see about 6-8 big whiting feeding on the bottom. I flicked the biggest nipper I had in the direction of the fish and was on.

Fishing 3lb flouro carbon straight through I really had to take my time. I lost a really big fish a few weeks ago and was determined not to make the same mistake twice.

As it slid into the net I let out a big hoot.... Pumped!

I stashed it in the live bag to carry on fishing, hoping to get a few more for a feed. The bait situation was not the best as all the other nippers were dead and too soft to use.

My mate and his father in law caught a few legals and threw them back.

At the end of the session, we put it on the lie detector and took a few snaps of my new 41cm PB, let it swim off to be caught another day.

Always great to score a PB on a new rod!

Happy Australia Day

post-12306-0-99839900-1390695856_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-80491600-1390695879_thumb.jpg

Edited by JET01

Nippers will keep well if placed in a large shallow container, water 1 to 2 cms deep.

I have a couple of lids from 50 litre plastic storage boxes. Place water in the indent on top of the lid, keep them in a cool place and the nippers swim about until the next day.

Very few die, but when placed into a deep bucket of water, most will die overnight. Not enough oxygen in the deep water.

I whitnessed jet buying whole Whiting from the local fish monger on Friday last week.... I predict he took one down to the flats and took a pic in hope of winning a competition....

he's desperate....

ha ha .... nice fish Jerky...

I whitnessed jet buying whole Whiting from the local fish monger on Friday last week.... I predict he took one down to the flats and took a pic in hope of winning a competition....

he's desperate....

ha ha .... nice fish Jerky...

Thanks for the taking the photo while I held the fish still mate. You're a champion...

Oh and thanks for pumping the nippers too. A true gentleman.