beginner's help catching luderick on fly

clemsy

Hi raiders,

For some strange reason, amongst this summer heat, I've started to get an interest in catching luderick. I've mainly been using an 475b alvey and an 8ft spin rod, hitting up the esturaries.

I have had no luck on bread, not sure if my hook is too small (12)?

I've been looking around local areas for weed/cabbage and have had no luck.

So, been an avid fan of lure fishing, why not take one more right?

I've been wanting to try catching luderick on a green weed fly under a float now, but I don't know ANYTHING about fly fishing, "brands of material, which ones look better in the water/natural, etc etc."

I was wandering if anybody can point me in the right direction, in terms of what to get and what i need to buy?

Thanks raiders!

Clem

Cant say ive caught luderick on fly.

However if i were to target them with the flyrod which i want to do come winter id still be looking to find some real weed/cabbage to berley up with.

Mix the cabbage with sand and berley up, then throw your fly in the mix.

I have a feeling you may struggle to catch one on fly without berley to fire them up a bit.

Quite clever the buggers.

Bugger off the float and get yourself a flyrod lol!

Whole new world of options opens up when you do.

Good luck mate!

Haha, probably don't want to get into fly fishing just yet, maybe when I have a full-time job (student), as I feel it would open up a whole new world and a new whole in my wallet.

Hence, the reason why I want to target luderick on green weed flys, finding reel weed and cabbage is quite difficult, where I am located.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi clemzii

Good cabbage off the rocks at nth bondi at low tide .You could try there or I have seen old masters catching good bags at rose bay wharf. There is a canal that feeds into the bay near the golf course, and a guy rose bay tackle ( closed) said there is good weed in there. Again low tide. Don't think it's. cabbage but that stringy stuff (sorry don't know it's name) you twist on.

Good luck