Stop the shark culling

Attention all raiders. There is a nation wide protest day on Saturday February 1st to stop the culling of sharks on our shores. Here in Sydney it will be held at Many beach. Information is provided below.

Let your voice be heard and stand up for what is right and our beloved fisheries.

Luc.

It's time for Sydney to get involved in the nation-wide day of protest against the culling of endangered great whites and other shark species.

WHEN: 10:30am for an 11am start

WHERE: Manly (on the surf beach at the end of The Corso)
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zVtJbW1cH-t0.kDQ7bh8tZdTo

WHAT: Inspirational speakers, opening by aboriginal elder Uncle Bruce, music and a celebration of all things shark! Speakers include Cate Faehrmann (Greens NSW MP), Tim Silverwood (surfer & environmentalist), Michael Aw (marine photographer & author), Paul Sharpe (W.A. shark expert), Jools Farrel (Sea Shepherd Australia) & Sharnie Connell (Manly Sea Life Sanctuary).

WHY: Despite previous anti-cull rallies, Collin Barnett has chosen to go ahead with plans to kill large sharks, including threatened and protected great whites. This has no scientific basis and is not supported by the Australian public, and we need to make this clear.

WEAR: Blue & white

BRING: If you have time to make posters, signs or banners then please bring some along. Also if you're a diver or surfer then feel free to bring some props. And of course, bring everyone you know!

So get your placards ready and we'll meet up at 11 to hear some inspirational speakers & make a stand against this misinformed, irresponsible and ridiculous shark cull.

Surfers, divers, snorkellers, conservationists, kayakers, boaties, ocean lovers, activists, animal lovers, environmentalists and caring members of the public unite against Barnett and Buswell's new shark policy. Show off your shark shields, tell the government you don't support the cull, educate the people, speak out for our Sharks, our Oceans and our PLANET!

SOS - SAVE OUR SHARKS!

WA are holding their event at 10am so each state/territory will join them.

If you have any questions please post them here on the page.

PLEASE SHARE & INVITE ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO LOVES THE OCEAN :)

post-22055-0-56206300-1390829675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trout Stalker

• 3 weeks later...

A person once said that the level of concern for any issue is inversely proportional to your proximity to the issue.

Hence culling sharks in known areas where they have attacked people is more likely to find favour with those swimming in the areas concerned. Whilst I have great respect for Sharks and even admire them I wonder whether those who so vehemently opposed to limited culling would change their view if they were in the water and a big mother came to have a look at them?

The same applies to Crocs where the indigenous community have stated that the Croc population has got out of hand and a culling programme should be introduced.

Just some thoughts, I am not pushing any particular point of view but would like to see what other Raiders think about this issue?

Cheers

Paikea

As mentioned on 60 minutes, they only catch the sharks along 1 km of coastline, where WA has 12,000km of Coast line. Only sharks over 3m and another interesting statistic was, in the past 100 years there have been 20 shark fatalities in that area, 7 of them have been in the past 3 years.

There's something to think about.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

the amount of sharks killed by commercial fishing by catch makes this all a feel good fuzzy warm feeling thing for the animal libs.

how many baby snapper do we damage in botany bay when chasing other fish

all a load of feel good crap

I don't damage any snapper when fishing in Botany Bay, and I'll tell you why. If I can't see the hook hanging out if it's mouth I snip the line off and tie on another hook, that hook inside it will rust out and the fish will go onto live, so for the sake of 20c hook it might get to grow to a legal size

Harry

Sorry, off topic

Don't apologise, your response was relevant.

Your responses do give us something to think about. Particularly the observation re the limited area being targeted and the killing of sharks as part of the by catch from commercial fishermen.

The practise that I abhor is the "finning" of sharks where commercial operators cut the fins of live sharks and throw them back in the water. That is a gross practise that should be banned.

Similarly the by catch of commercial fishing the has been reported as killing hundreds of juvenile Jewfish etc. I don't know the answer to that as people are entitled to make a living and eat fish caught by commercial netters but surely it must be possible to avoid killing the by catch. Even if that means finding a different method to sort the catch on board that keeps the by catch alive until they can be returned to the water.

Commercial fishing is a tough game but in time it will wipe out fish stocks unless something radical is invented to stop killing the by catch.

Them are my thoughts on the subject. Anyone have the answer?

Cheers

Paikea

Don't apologise, your response was relevant.

Your responses do give us something to think about. Particularly the observation re the limited area being targeted and the killing of sharks as part of the by catch from commercial fishermen.

The practise that I abhor is the "finning" of sharks where commercial operators cut the fins of live sharks and throw them back in the water. That is a gross practise that should be banned.

Similarly the by catch of commercial fishing the has been reported as killing hundreds of juvenile Jewfish etc. I don't know the answer to that as people are entitled to make a living and eat fish caught by commercial netters but surely it must be possible to avoid killing the by catch. Even if that means finding a different method to sort the catch on board that keeps the by catch alive until they can be returned to the water.

Commercial fishing is a tough game but in time it will wipe out fish stocks unless something radical is invented to stop killing the by catch.

Them are my thoughts on the subject. Anyone have the answer?

Cheers

Paikea

There's probably not a person on this earth besides the people that engage in finning that dosnt think it's a barbaric practice. I in no way endorse it but at the very least kill the poor animal before you fin it and throw it back.

The problem with by catch is its half dead by the time it gets back to the boat from being squashed by tonnes of other fish. Then by the time they sort it and throw it back the by catch is reduced to a free feed for the birds and seals hanging around the boat.

Harry

This reply isn't directed at you
but every weekend all round Australia how many fish either undersize or not the target species are damaged by rec fishers it would be many many thousands
I know when bass fishing its unavoidable to damage juvenile fish attacking lures 10 times their size

to think that the 100 200 300 sharks being culled in wa is significant amount of biomass being removed is ludicrous

I don't damage any snapper when fishing in Botany Bay, and I'll tell you why. If I can't see the hook hanging out if it's mouth I snip the line off and tie on another hook, that hook inside it will rust out and the fish will go onto live, so for the sake of 20c hook it might get to grow to a legal size

Harry

Maybe the authorities should look at banning commercial fishing during the breeding season for fish like Bream, Snapper, Jewfish, Flathead, Mullet and the like. That would surely increase the numbers of juvenile fish thereby improving the survival rate for a larger number of each species.

I know that fish roe is a delicacy that commands a good price but as netting during the breeding cycle is effectively stopping millions of eggs from becoming young fish is it viable in the long term.

Beach netting whole schools of Mullet along the coast as they make their run not only decimates the Mullet but affects the whole food chain. Simple equation; Increase the numbers at the bottom of the food chain and the rest of the chain will follow.

Cheers

Paikea

we seem to quiet happy decimate any land predator that may pose even a minor risk to us , yet cull a deadly ocean predator and were up in arms.. I think humans are so contradictory as humans,

Next time there is a snake in your back yard you and your family use . Don't kill it ,don't have it removed by animal control remember that , the snake was there before us were entering its world...

How many protestors abide by the above as an example??????

we seem to quiet happy decimate any land predator that may pose even a minor risk to us , yet cull a deadly ocean predator and were up in arms.. I think humans are so contradictory as humans,

Next time there is a snake in your back yard you and your family use . Don't kill it ,don't have it removed by animal control remember that , the snake was there before us were entering its world... 

How many protestors abide by the above as an example??????

Good analogy, except for one thing, brown snakes arnt endangered.

The reason why people are kicking up a stink is because the great white shark:

- reaches sexual maturity late in its life

- has a long gestation period compared to other sharks

- and has a low reproductive rate.

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it was just that an analogy, im all for the fact that a great white and grey nurse is an endangered species but tigers and 'other" sharks of this size aren't

Im trying to point out to the stop the shark cull protestors that it works both ways, what quiet easily applies to "'its there domain they were here first'' and just don't go in the water applies to dangerous animals on land too you cant be bias,

The old Tassie tiger if it wasn't made extinct and was still roaming about and lets say for instance attacking people (not that im aware of any in its history) with 3 deaths in several years, even if it was protected what would its fate be ???

All of a sudden we cant just stay out of there domain and the old tiger looks in trouble(again)..