Leather jackets( Parasites. Isopods)

krause

Question

Finally caught some leather jackets today. Found two types but have no pics. Wondering if anyone can id them from a description. One was a standard lj shape but with a striking blue pattern across its top flank. The other was a very tall fish with a large extendable 'fan' under its belly.

Also found a huge parasite in one. Living in the poor buggers gut cavity! Ill link an image if I can...

Cheers

12 answers to this question

Very hard to I.D. jackets without a photo, as there are dozens of different species. Need photos to I.D. fish in this section.

The first one may be a six spined leatherjacket, the second one is a fan tailed or fan bellied leatherjacket

Yep I'd say yowie got it right. And that parasite looks like a very obese sea lice, common in trevally and a few other species, pretty much harmless but very gross when they pop out in the sink at home.

Here's the parasite. Scary bugger! Never seen one this big or inside a fish!!! It was about the size of a 50 cent coin

Leather jackets definetly carry the biggest parasites iv seen. Like you said, about the size if a 50c coin, half hanging out of a wound. I'm curious if they're the same ones you'd find in the mouth of some yakkas that are just really really fat, or they're their own species.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

Impossible to id you say? Never! You guys were spot on. Yellowfin and fan belly jackets. See below.

And the parasite was definitely a new sight. Not in a surface wound though. Completely contained in the fish, not even the stomach! Rediculous really.

Cheers all

post-31570-0-56190300-1391073380_thumb.jpg

post-31570-0-54807700-1391073434_thumb.jpg

Leather jackets definetly carry the biggest parasites iv seen. Like you said, about the size if a 50c coin, half hanging out of a wound. I'm curious if they're the same ones you'd find in the mouth of some yakkas that are just really really fat, or they're their own species.

Harry

The ones inside yellowtail's mouths are a different species, as are the ones found on the fins of the occasional whiting, which are rather small. Also pulled out a couple of tailor with a large one on a side fin, and the fin is always damaged by the feeding of these parasites.

The ones inside yellowtail's mouths are a different species, as are the ones found on the fins of the occasional whiting, which are rather small. Also pulled out a couple of tailor with a large one on a side fin, and the fin is always damaged by the feeding of these parasites.

Cheers, thanks for that.

Harry