Botany Bay mixed bag

tinny1

Took my co pilot out for a session on Saturday with all the good intentions of getting a Kingy got some fresh dead squid from the bait shop and headed out around 6.30am as we rounded the corner out of the Cooks River entrance we noticed around 3 separate schools of chopper tailor busting up so we had a little fun with those for 30 mins or so then made our way to Molinuex Pt and soaked the squid for an hour or so .We were soon bored by absolutely no action and went back to what we know best flickinlures.I had never really bothered fishing out in the middle with the plastics but we soon discovered a 300mtr drift in around 3-4 mtrs over weedy sea grass ground broken up by some nice sand patches that produced a mixed bag of Bream,Trevally,Flathead and a nice 36cm whiting.The pumpkinseed 4" worm did the damage yet again as we cleaned up in a session that lasted around 2hrs of constant action.We tossed back a lot of small Bream and Trevally .We took home enough for the neighbours and inlaws and a couple for ourselves,overall it was a top session with a good mate.Oh forgot to add if anyone drags up a 6000 Shimano Alivio reel off Bonna Pt loaded with mono on a short boat rod it's mine , forgot to put the little white clip over the rod holder DOH :chair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-9vx8PQr3g

Edited by flickinlures

Hey nice feed there mate and love the vid. It's great when things are quiet while targeting one species you can just change tactics and end up with a nice feed. Love the whiting.

My eldest daughter caught a thumper last month 43 cm on a prawn.

Cheers Daniel

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

flickinlures, on 04 Feb 2014 - 8:10 PM, said:

Took my co pilot out for a session on Saturday with all the good intentions of getting a Kingy got some fresh dead squid from the bait shop and headed out around 6.30am as we rounded the corner out of the Cooks River entrance we noticed around 3 separate schools of chopper tailor busting up so we had a little fun with those for 30 mins or so then made our way to Molinuex Pt and soaked the squid for an hour or so .We were soon bored by absolutely no action and went back to what we know best flickinlures.I had never really bothered fishing out in the middle with the plastics but we soon discovered a 300mtr drift in around 3-4 mtrs over weedy sea grass ground broken up by some nice sand patches that produced a mixed bag of Bream,Trevally,Flathead and a nice 36cm whiting.The pumpkinseed 4" worm did the damage yet again as we cleaned up in a session that lasted around 2hrs of constant action.We tossed back a lot of small Bream and Trevally .We took home enough for the neighbours and inlaws and a couple for ourselves,overall it was a top session with a good mate.Oh forgot to add if anyone drags up a 6000 Shimano Alivio reel off Bonna Pt loaded with mono on a short boat rod it's mine , forgot to put the little white clip over the rod holder DOH :chair:

dan76, on 04 Feb 2014 - 9:26 PM, said:

Hey nice feed there mate and love the vid. It's great when things are quiet while targeting one species you can just change tactics and end up with a nice feed. Love the whiting.

My eldest daughter caught a thumper last month 43 cm on a prawn.

Cheers Daniel

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas my mates are starting to call me speilberg lol

Hey Daniel i think i replied to your post about your daughters whiting it got my best by 4 cm and i thought i had a little soapie on the end of the line so hers was huge, but my mate did most of the damage on saturday due to my filming duties that's my excuse anyway

Edited by flickinlures

Nice catch there...

We where probably next to you when you where chasing the tailor schools we where in a white fibreglass boat with a suzuki sticker chasing the same schools :)!

If you see us out there shout and say Gday!

Of interest what size jig heads where you using on the plastics?

I was having trouble touching bottom we where drifting that hard :)!

Hey mate i use size: 1/6 or 1/8 ( i think the measurement is ounces ) mostly when i fish the bay in around 3-4 mtrs if i go any deeper ( no more than 5mtrs ) i would go up a size to 1/4 on a good strong owner hook , i rarely go deeper than the 5mtr mark when flickin the plastics as i find that area between 3-4mtrs is the best over the weed and sand , use the wind at your back and wait till the line goes slack between 10 - 15 secs .We did try a few different Gulp soft plastics but the only successful ones i find are the worms that have that wriggly tail cheers Mark