The Tail of four kingfish trips

PPSGT

Hi Raiders,

I've been lucky to get out on the water 4 days in the past week and chase kings, after telling my wife as I don't play golf or drink beer I need to network through fishing. She kind of gives me that wife look followed by "fine"....... Thats approval isn't it? I don't question or look up on Google what it means when your wife says it fine, I just start making calls, ask boss for annual leave day and got to bed early that night

Day 1 - Sat week ago

Early start, 2 mates from work 2 hours for 3 yakkas and one squid.

Had to be back by 10am so fished the main harbour.

Drop downrigger down with the tiny squid at the first spot, a rat king takes it as I am lowering it down. Handed rod to my mate who winds in his first 50cm king - all over in 20secs

The three yakkas end up with a similar fate within 1 minute of setting the downrigger

So no bait, 1 hour left we switch to halco metal slices and go back over the spot and they are hot to trot and smashing anything that's in the water. rats are so dumb

So after 20 kingfish for the morning we ended up with 2x 67cm kings between three, the mate that had to leave early and didn't help clean the boat left empty handed

Day 2 - Wed

I'd been talking up the Sydney king fishing to some Adelaide snapper crazy friends
they were heading to Sydney so we locked in a day fishing

After Sat bait catching issues I checked out a likely spot west of the bridge in the dark. Burley up - lots of activity and quickly fill the tank with "yakkas" pick up the guys in circular quay and head out to get slimies near the heads, Too rough and windy and end up with only one yakzilla after 30 minutes. Neither of them get sea sick so we head out the heads and to the inshore reefs

Get out the first "yakka" which turns out to be a slimy! Check the tank and 10 of the yakkas are actually brownish slimies obviously from living in the Parramatta river -nice!

See a Hire boat out there hooked up hard. Rod fully loaded what we expected was the bottom. We lapped him with the downrigger and watched for 5 minutes (yes that long) waiting for the rod to snap. As we got closer it was the owner of said boat hire business hooked up hard on top shelf gear. Next minute the fish runs to the back then the front of the boat with him hot pursuit but he got reefed on the last run and it was over

We idle away to some marks one bait on top one on the downrigger - hungry rat takes the top bait, bait runner 8000d screams off and it's sounds awesome, until he turns the handle drag kicks in and fish of 50cm is skull dragged to the boat. They don't even want a photo

We then sound up a big school and go through 15 baits and 15 fish for one keeper every time we stopped for a downrig strike the surface bait went off. In search of a reef donkey we put on yakzilla and downrig it over different marks until a 64cm king with eyes big then it's stomach manages to hook itself

Go back to the original mark, still heaps of kings so switch to jigs. Triple hook up of rats and heaps follow them up we get a least another 10 with only one solid hook up which they got the fish to the boat with the assist hook hanging out its mouth. One shake and the fish of the day is gone. All that action for 3 keepers

Took mate who left early sat some nice fresh skinless and boneless Kingy fillets into work the next day for his dinner. Gave a big tailor to my neighbour who seems to like them. Never eaten one myself

Day 3 - Sat

After talking it up at work, take my bosses boss out for the third time after a kingfish after two zero days. Wake up to a southerly... I am sure that's not a good sign. Undeterred I head to my new bait spot and fill tank with micro yakkas and slimies - it's looking good now!

Cut a long story short - epic fail! and I tried everywhere in the harbour! When it's the third trip with the big boss and looking like failure I was trying every trick I knew. I am sure they were around but he is just an albatross and I didn't even see a single fish on the sounder. My team mates where SMS ing asking for updates and taking the piss which didn't help.

Day 4 -Monday

Monday this week with a customer from work. Chinese guy who a gun rock fisherman who's always showing me pics of surgeon fish, grouper and other rock beasts but never fished from a boat. After telling him to just brings snacks and his best rod, he rocks up with so much stuff! Red bulls, cakes, chips, water, 3 types of bait, 3 fishing rods and is keep as to get onto a king. Catching bait was lots of fun with a mix of slimies and yakkas. Head out and troll South head, downrig and surface bait out, top one gets nailed with a nice sound from the bait runner until he turns the handle on the 8000d and it sounds like a coffee grinder! Maybe shouldn't have let my mates jig with it on Wed..... He lands a 60cm king, but the reel is cactus. I left all the good gear at home except my jig rod so we chuck one of his rods on and continue. 2 rats further up the harbour by then it's 10am and I'm suppose to be at work (should have been home an hour earlier) but he's my top customer so we try another hour for zero and head home

Race home at 35 knots unhook boat, shower and at work ready for lunch

late that afternoon my customer rings me and asks me to come downstairs and see him. To thank me for the trip and to say happy Chinese New Year he had bought me a new Penn bait runner to replace the dead shimano I am really embarrassed

Then I get home and my neighbours son is cleaning out crap he's got stored at his dad's place and says "do you want my old downrigger?" - old the Penn unit is current model and used a couple of times! Nice

Never owned Penn gear now I got two pieces given to me in one day

Lots of kingfish for dinner this week which was nice. So sweet when they are barely legal

post-2971-0-75143700-1391565450_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmm. NamJim Kingfish for dinner

post-2971-0-07272500-1391565476_thumb.jpg

Barely legal.........

Jason

ps I googled what it means when you wife says fine. I'm not going fishing this weekend. And am solo Mr Mum Sat and Sunday as punishment.... But the weekend after....... My brother is here, so I can go fishing both days right???

Edited by Burley King

Excellent mate...4 days fishing in a week...you are one lucky dude...btw...when the Wife said 'fine'...that means you will pay for it later...hahaha...I get to fish once a month...that's the deal I struck with the boss...lately I get to go twice a month coz of my son...lucky me

Great read!

Being a lady, I can interpret "Fine" for you - what it really means is - "if you are stupid enough to even ask this question, my response will be fine - you will go and have your fun and THEN, from this moment on, I reserve the right to bring this up during any future arguments where I want to get my own way, from you picking up the kids, to me going on a week long pamper trip to Fiji with my friends....Henceforth, I OWN YOU".

So.... beware, my gentlemen friends, danger lurks when a lady says "fine".

Great report, well done on the 4 days fishing. I do not dare take my boss fishing, as I always catch Zero. Sometimes I use the boat to run from a Sunday that has a list that seems not having an end: "Fix this, fix that, mow the lawn, clean the car, clean the toolshed, do this, do that". I then say that TODAY there is an alignment of planets, perfect tide, wind and moon phase and I should be extremely successful. Coming home with nothing then casts a doubt of suspicious, and I have to do the list anyway, just in less time. Ending with me cleaning the boat in the dark.

Great read!

Being a lady, I can interpret "Fine" for you - what it really means is - "if you are stupid enough to even ask this question, my response will be fine - you will go and have your fun and THEN, from this moment on, I reserve the right to bring this up during any future arguments where I want to get my own way, from you picking up the kids, to me going on a week long pamper trip to Fiji with my friends....Henceforth, I OWN YOU".

Great interpretation there meg126. Burley king doesn't realise whats down the track for him eh lol

Hi Raiders,

I've been lucky to get out on the water 4 days in the past week and chase kings, after telling my wife as I don't play golf or drink beer I need to network through fishing. She kind of gives me that wife look followed by "fine"....... Thats approval isn't it? I don't question or look up on Google what it means when your wife says it fine, I just start making calls, ask boss for annual leave day and got to bed early that night

Day 1 - Sat week ago

Early start, 2 mates from work 2 hours for 3 yakkas and one squid.

Had to be back by 10am so fished the main harbour.

Drop downrigger down with the tiny squid at the first spot, a rat king takes it as I am lowering it down. Handed rod to my mate who winds in his first 50cm king - all over in 20secs

The three yakkas end up with a similar fate within 1 minute of setting the downrigger

So no bait, 1 hour left we switch to halco metal slices and go back over the spot and they are hot to trot and smashing anything that's in the water. rats are so dumb

So after 20 kingfish for the morning we ended up with 2x 67cm kings between three, the mate that had to leave early and didn't help clean the boat left empty handed

Day 2 - Wed

I'd been talking up the Sydney king fishing to some Adelaide snapper crazy friends

they were heading to Sydney so we locked in a day fishing

After Sat bait catching issues I checked out a likely spot west of the bridge in the dark. Burley up - lots of activity and quickly fill the tank with "yakkas" pick up the guys in circular quay and head out to get slimies near the heads, Too rough and windy and end up with only one yakzilla after 30 minutes. Neither of them get sea sick so we head out the heads and to the inshore reefs

Get out the first "yakka" which turns out to be a slimy! Check the tank and 10 of the yakkas are actually brownish slimies obviously from living in the Parramatta river -nice!

See a Hire boat out there hooked up hard. Rod fully loaded what we expected was the bottom. We lapped him with the downrigger and watched for 5 minutes (yes that long) waiting for the rod to snap. As we got closer it was the owner of said boat hire business hooked up hard on top shelf gear. Next minute the fish runs to the back then the front of the boat with him hot pursuit but he got reefed on the last run and it was over

We idle away to some marks one bait on top one on the downrigger - hungry rat takes the top bait, bait runner 8000d screams off and it's sounds awesome, until he turns the handle drag kicks in and fish of 50cm is skull dragged to the boat. They don't even want a photo

We then sound up a big school and go through 15 baits and 15 fish for one keeper every time we stopped for a downrig strike the surface bait went off. In search of a reef donkey we put on yakzilla and downrig it over different marks until a 64cm king with eyes big then it's stomach manages to hook itself

Go back to the original mark, still heaps of kings so switch to jigs. Triple hook up of rats and heaps follow them up we get a least another 10 with only one solid hook up which they got the fish to the boat with the assist hook hanging out its mouth. One shake and the fish of the day is gone. All that action for 3 keepers

Took mate who left early sat some nice fresh skinless and boneless Kingy fillets into work the next day for his dinner. Gave a big tailor to my neighbour who seems to like them. Never eaten one myself

Day 3 - Sat

After talking it up at work, take my bosses boss out for the third time after a kingfish after two zero days. Wake up to a southerly... I am sure that's not a good sign. Undeterred I head to my new bait spot and fill tank with micro yakkas and slimies - it's looking good now!

Cut a long story short - epic fail! and I tried everywhere in the harbour! When it's the third trip with the big boss and looking like failure I was trying every trick I knew. I am sure they were around but he is just an albatross and I didn't even see a single fish on the sounder. My team mates where SMS ing asking for updates and taking the piss which didn't help.

Day 4 -Monday

Monday this week with a customer from work. Chinese guy who a gun rock fisherman who's always showing me pics of surgeon fish, grouper and other rock beasts but never fished from a boat. After telling him to just brings snacks and his best rod, he rocks up with so much stuff! Red bulls, cakes, chips, water, 3 types of bait, 3 fishing rods and is keep as to get onto a king. Catching bait was lots of fun with a mix of slimies and yakkas. Head out and troll South head, downrig and surface bait out, top one gets nailed with a nice sound from the bait runner until he turns the handle on the 8000d and it sounds like a coffee grinder! Maybe shouldn't have let my mates jig with it on Wed..... He lands a 60cm king, but the reel is cactus. I left all the good gear at home except my jig rod so we chuck one of his rods on and continue. 2 rats further up the harbour by then it's 10am and I'm suppose to be at work (should have been home an hour earlier) but he's my top customer so we try another hour for zero and head home

Race home at 35 knots unhook boat, shower and at work ready for lunch

late that afternoon my customer rings me and asks me to come downstairs and see him. To thank me for the trip and to say happy Chinese New Year he had bought me a new Penn bait runner to replace the dead shimano I am really embarrassed

Then I get home and my neighbours son is cleaning out crap he's got stored at his dad's place and says "do you want my old downrigger?" - old the Penn unit is current model and used a couple of times! Nice

Never owned Penn gear now I got two pieces given to me in one day

Lots of kingfish for dinner this week which was nice. So sweet when they are barely legal

attachicon.giffr2.JPG

Mmmmmm. NamJim Kingfish for dinner

attachicon.giffr3.JPG

Barely legal.........

Jason

ps I googled what it means when you wife says fine. I'm not going fishing this weekend. And am solo Mr Mum Sat and Sunday as punishment.... But the weekend after....... My brother is here, so I can go fishing both days right???

u are an absolute classic great read isn't it funny what ull do for a king nice work

Great read!

Hi Meg,

Yes indeed you're right on the money there.

Often, you won't even get the word 'fine', or even any word at all.

It is in the facial expression that tells it all and the length of eye contact.

If she has eye contact with you for more than 1 second after you ask the question - it's all over red rover.

This is the precise reason you need to watch for these signs BEFORE you say "I do".

It will prevent anyone being owned henceforth - no-one wants to be owned.