Where to Install Berley Pot?

Berleyguts

I'm not sure where to fit a berley pot on my Stacer Outlaw. Port side is the step and the intake for the live bait tank. Starboard side is the transducer for the Humminbird and the speedo sensor.

Posted Image

Starboard side looks like the only spot it would fit but the berley trail would interfere with the sounder reading, wouldn't it?

Ideas?

Thanks,

Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starboard side for sure. You are unlikely to be using your sounder when at anchor so no problems with any burley showing up and you won't burley when running the boat.

I n any event even if you were running the sounder at anchor then unless you were in water with no run (worst time to fish) the burley would be running away from the boat.

No problems.

Cheers

Paikea

Berleyguts. I agree with Paikea , don't worry about the berley. If there is any interference it will only be minor showing on the surface.

Starboard side is your only option. When mounting , have the bottom of the pot a few mm above the bottom of boat.

It's also a good idea to mount it with wing nuts rather than standard nuts. This allows easy removal at the pot at the end of the day for cleaning.

On mine , I undo the wing nuts , place a plastic bag over the top then invert the pot , contents into the bag & into the freezer for the next trip. A quick hose down , pot all clean , time for a beer. Geoff

Edited by Geoff

maybe u don't even need a burley pot. I have a burley cage that i tied on to the back of the boat and throw into the water.

I made it out of an old salsa container. I pre-make burley balls at home and use them in the cage.

I didn't want to drill and more holes

Starboard side with wing nuts, it is then! It looks like there are already mounting holes for a pot anyway:

Posted Image

I've used a small cage I throw over the side so far but like the convenience of a pot.

Cheers,

Baz

PS. I'm getting a lot of info out of Fishraider lately! Not just through my posts but through the search function. Fantastic help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like making things multi purpose, my burley pot has 2 screw on adapters... one for the frozen burley in pics that I set at what ever depth in the water required, one live bait adapter screws on when needed.

No holes, no mess no fuss.

But if you still want to mount it go the starboard side.

I once made a mate a press to cut up blocks of pillies at once and a catapult to feed them out on a timer from anywhere from every minute to every 10 minutes.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I once made a mate a press to cut up blocks of pillies at once and a catapult to feed them out on a timer from anywhere from every minute to every 10 minutes.

How about some pics of the press and catapult/timer? Sounds like a top idea.

Cheers

Paikea

Paikea, it's been over 10 years that I made them for him and the boat is now long gone.

It worked a treat and was a huge selling point at the time of sale.

The only blue prints I have is in my mind as I hadn't taken photos at the time.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
On 05/02/2014 at 10:35 AM, Berleyguts said:

Posted Image

So, I’ve dug out my old thread as I took delivery of a berley pot today. It’s a plastic pot on an alloy mount and the mount has a s/s pin and r clip to enable easy removal of the pot for cleaning. Now comes the mounting! Where should the bottom of the pot go? I’m assuming a few mm above the bottom of the boat to the right of the transom strap in the picture above. I’ve never taken note of where the waterline is at rest but I want to be sure to not get a rooster tail when underway. I don’t want to drill holes in my transom but I guess I have no choice. I was hoping to find sealed aluminium rivets to suit to avoid electrolysis issues but the holes in the mount are quite large and I think I’m going to have to go with s/s nuts and bolts and possibly washers. Can anyone post photos of their setup, for mounting height and fixture? Thanks.

Edited by Berleyguts

So I thought I’d have a quick go at mounting the pot now while our guests are out but hit a snag already.  I bought 8mm s/s bolts washers and nylon nuts thinking I would drill through the transom, bolt in and seal with marine silastic. However, then I found there is an alloy brace section where I need to fit, so I can’t bolt through. Would s/s screws be OK given I wouldn’t be able to get silicon in from the inside, only the outside?

See photos below:

03FA6B50-FCA5-4CDA-8695-E95B550B2858.jpeg

5FC53545-C1A9-4AF4-9208-C6E95D2E9119.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

50 minutes ago, lyons90 said:

Get aluminium mounting hardware.

Dissimilar metals + salt water, makes for a bad time

Hence, using Duralec and silicon. However, I’m open to using aluminium mounting hardware if someone can point me in the right direction. I thought of sealed pop rivets but was advised they wouldn’t be strong enough to take the frequent pounding it will cop. Still need to figure out how to seal the holes behind that channel (which is part of the support for the rear locker/casting platform).

Edited by Berleyguts

Just now, TK01 said:

How about longer bolts so you can get through that brace?  I think that would be better than self tappers.

Yep. Have thought if that too. Would it be an issue if I couldn’t get silicon in on the inside, only the outside? To keep water out...

2 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Hence, using Duralec and silicon. However, I’m open to using aluminium mounting hardware if someone can point me in the right direction. I thought of sealed pop rivets but was advised they wouldn’t be strong enough to take the frequent pounding it will cop. Still need to figure out how to seal the holes behind that channel (which is part of the support for the rear locker/casting platform.

Do you have any local metal fab friends? If it were me, I would have a piece the same as the transducer mount welded on.

Bunnings, or any local hardware store should have aluminium bolts.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yep. Have thought if that too. Would it be an issue if I couldn’t get silicon in on the inside, only the outside? To keep water out...

I don't think it would be an issue.  If water can't get in from the outside then it can't get in can it?  I've never used aluminium bolts so can't comment on that.  My berley bucket is mounted with SS bolts and there's no corrosion around them.  I've got SS fittings all through my boat and used sikaflex and also got some nylon washers to sit between the SS washer and hull just to be extra cautious.

Disclaimer:  I do have a bit of corrosion in my boat but it's not around these fittings so I reckon it's a pretty safe choice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

go longer bolts baz and coat bolt with sika on install water will only come in from out mount permanent  just remember to scoop out s#@t before you leave ramp...rick

Thanks Rick. I thought of getting a bracket welded on (like for transducer as suggested by @lyons90) but that’s a bit of a hassle towing it to a fabricator when I want to get back on the water ASAP, although it does allow for hassle free repositioning. I think I’ll go the longer bolts. Do you think it’s worth putting in an alloy (or plastic) sleeve? The plastic pot can be removed from the alloy bracket by way of a pin and R clip, so I can just dump the contents on way into ramp.

The next job will probably require a fabricator. I’d like to fit a bait board with rod holders over the outboard.

980283D9-D504-442E-AD38-A5F0130D0A84.jpeg

I ended up going with M8 50mm s/s bolts, a flat washer, a spring washer and a Nyloc nut inside and nylon flat washers either side. Whacked a heap of marine Sikaflex in there too. I’m probably paronoid as I think the holes for the bracket are high enough above the waterline but, to be sure, I sealed all around the bracket with Sikaflex too. Time will tell, I guess. Now, I just hope I got it mounted at the right height!

F91172D6-1726-445E-945F-09A47A8BB1EC.jpeg

A265913E-41C3-4144-975E-E6F155896BE2.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TK01 said:

Looks good. I like how it sits away from the transom a bit too. Mine is flush against the transom and has resulted in some well smashed knuckles over the years.

Yeah, it’s designed for a transom rake of 20 degrees apparently. I had no idea what mine was but it seems to sit well. I bought it on eBay. The main thing I needed was an alloy bracket and a removable bucket. It has an alloy muncher.

Edited by Berleyguts