Advice for starting out shore based in Sydney

Leuke

Hi all,

I've been trawling the site a bit for the last few weeks and read lots of interesting stuff that's fueled my interest in getting out there with a rod and catch some fish. I used to fish with my dad as a kid down in Tassie, but I would say neither of us ever really new what we were doing. Jetty fishing mainly landing Flathead and cocky salmon, and a bit of rock fishing which usually ended up with kelpies (thrown back) and the occasional leather jacket.

Anyway I've just moved to Sydney and I'm keen to give it another go. I'm based in Bondi Junction and car-less, so any tip for what I should look to target from the shore around the Bondi/Bronte area of coast. I'm mainly interested in bread and butter fishing for the table, but would be nice to get a bit of variety if there's a few things I can target without too many set ups.

I don't have any gear currently, but I'm getting my dad to bring up my old rod and reel at Easter which from memory is a 6 to 7 foot light rod (copperhead i think?) hopefully with a matching 2500 reel. So I thought in the meantime maybe I could go with a cheap set up that's a bit different to that. Maybe I need a bigger rod to get out from the shore a bit?

My girlfriend is also pretty keen, so when we've got two set ups I'd like to be able to take her out and impress her with everything I've learnt. ;) Haha.

Cheers guys!

Do you only want to fish off the rocks? How about fishing from the beach? It's safe and you can catch pretty much everything from the sand depending on your set-up.... Bream, Flathead, Jewfish, Australian Salmon, Tailor, Sharks....

You'll need a beach rod but you can get those pretty cheap.

Go early morning or late afternoon, learn how to find gutters and use fresh or live bait if possible.

Good luck!

You know what's funny mate?shore based anglers generally try casting as far out into the deepest water they can find and boat based anglers generally try to cast as close to the shore as possible.How ironic.

Don,t be mislead by fishing shows etc that you need this gear for this and that.

For shore based angling you can spend as much or as little as you like.

A 7 foot light outfit rod matched to a 2500 reel spooled with 3 or 4 kg line is just about perfect(you don't need to cast a mile alot of people miss good fish due to this)

It will catch you plenty of the usual table fish...whiting,flatys,bream etc.

I'm not familiar with areas that you are planning on fishing,but almost anywhere Is worth a try with some structure around such as weedbeds,chanels,dropoffs,jetties,etc.

Always use the best baits you can gather/buy if baitfishing with good presentation.

Use good knots.

Always use burley.

Keep your rig as light as possible to suit conditions.(you will get more bites)

Fish the tides.

Ask tackleshop staff plenty of questions and on forums and with fellow fisherman when out fishing.

Stick to size limits.

Enjoy quality time with your partner when out whether your catching anything or not.

If you do catch a couple of keepers and you see a young bloke fishing and not catching,offer him a fish/left over bait,you'll be the best thing since sliced bread in his little mind and win some brownie points with the mrs.

The only way I can think of that there's a 100 percent chance that I'm not catching anything is when I'm not fishing.

Anytime I am,there's ALWAYS a chance.

Cheers.

Fabian.

Hey guys,

thanks for the advice so far. we I get my old rod brought up I'll definitely be keeping it as a nice light set up. Before reading through this forum I never really got that the lighter your gear, the better your chance of finding fish. It makes scene now, but I reckon I always had to heavy gear as a kid.

I have thought about beach fishing, but I feel like it might be hard at the beaches around Bondi as they all seem very popular. What's the etiquette for beach fishing on swimming/surfing beaches? If I get a 10ft beach rod are they also fine for fishing off the rocks?

Also would anyone recommend lure fishing rather than bait for the fish in my area? I read a lot of stuff here about getting flatties on soft plastics and I'd like to give it a go. Is it just as easy land based as from a boat? Also keen to get a few squid jigs and give that a go. I've always seen a lot of people squidding from Jetties back in Tassie and it looks pretty satisfying.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I've had a look at a Saratoga Mawler combo 3 meter 4-8kg cf surf rod with a 4000 reel, what do you all think about that for beach and rock fishing? It seems like a lot of people recommend going light, but then others say it's good to have a longer rod for off the shore. It looks like a good package for $70 to get me started and a bit different from my smaller/lighter rig coming up to me in April, but is it overkill for the kind of eating fish I'll be able to catch in the area? What weight line would I be going for on a rod like this? 14lbs?

I've had a look at a Saratoga Mawler combo 3 meter 4-8kg cf surf rod with a 4000 reel, what do you all think about that for beach and rock fishing? It seems like a lot of people recommend going light, but then others say it's good to have a longer rod for off the shore. It looks like a good package for $70 to get me started and a bit different from my smaller/lighter rig coming up to me in April, but is it overkill for the kind of eating fish I'll be able to catch in the area? What weight line would I be going for on a rod like this? 14lbs?

4-8kg is not to bad for the surf and rocks, probably just right for battling your bonitos, sambos and rat kings off the rocks, also for sambos and bream off the beach.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

If you're free one weekend I'll be more than willing to show you some tips/spots! i'm based in Maroubra and usually fish at little/long bay and Botany bay off the rocks.

Cheers tef1on, It's probably a little bit far as I don't have a car. Having said that I'd be keen to check out some spots with a local first so I'm not going in blind. Might hit you up when I get my gear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I finally got all the things I need this week, and now I'd just got home from my first session out in the rain. Had a go spinning metals off the rocks on the north side of Clovelly Bay. The rain was pretty light, busy after an hour and a half if had enough.

So I had 20lbs fire line with 30lbs leader and was casting a gillies baitfish and a sure catch lure, both in 25 grams. Lost the gillies on the rocks and neither gave me any luck. SE winds made casting a bit tricky, I was getting 20-25 meters out which didn't really feel like much.

Anyway, nice to get out, if anyone has any pointers or ideas of other places I should try next let me know! Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Clovelly make sure you go out at low tide on the north side with not much swell otherwise it can get pretty rough there. Cleats are a must. I've heard they've been pulling in some nice kings there

Thanks Harry, I'll go get some floats and give it a go. 2m leader under the float? Any sinkers or do I just cast close?

Thanks UnderFisher. Yeah I went and had a look a few times and realised I'd need low tide to be able to get a good spot. Yesterday I read 1.1m swell but it still seemed quite rough at times. I talked to a fisho there and he reckoned eat kings (which I think means undersize?) which would be cool, I more looking for something to take home to cook though! :)

Wednesday evening is looking good weather/tide wise so I think I might go again then. Cheers all.

2 metres should be ok. You don't need to cast to far, try and cast it into the wash. the weight if the pillie should give you enough distance, but I'd have a small ball sinker in there some where for abit of extra weight.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

i spotted a 12ft 8-12kg rod reel plus fishing line combo from penn that i going to mention for 119 plus delivery online only because im going to recommend this to my work mate who is in need of another combo plus his gear outdated and a good fish will bust his plastic reel thus losing the fish most likey

Thanks, will look into giving that one a go. A wharf sounds nice and easy.

I went around to Gordon's Bay last night and managed to catch two squid on a cheap eBay jig. 2.0 I believe, but it seemed way to light and was barely dropping below the surface in the swell. I think I'll need to look into some heavy jigs for along the coast there.

Ok, I'll try that. How does that effect the action of the jig? Does the sinker make it head down instead of sinking then darting up as you pump the rod? I guess it still works as lots of people seem to do it.