Hunter bass

jawno

My family owns a property in the hunter. Tried to fish the river a couple of times when I was younger with no luck. Cousin said her and her bf caught some bass the other week. Hearing this I was so excited. I had been wanting to catch bass for ages.

Long story short, over two days i managed to catch 34 bass. They were ferocious with their takes. They were mostly hitting the surface but did take some zman grubs and minows with a tt spinner as well. Was awesome fun. I had a cheap kakoda cicada popper. That did most of the damage. 7/10 takes were as soon as the popper hit the surface then boof. It was on.

One memorable battle I had was with a decent 35 cm fish. I cast up hard to the bank and jiggled the popper then boof. Snatched it and went bezerk! Drag was singing, i had to tighten it up as she went home under the bank. The line went tight as it momentarily started to rub against the bank but i kept pulling her out and she eventually came out. Good battle little bass.

Biggest bass I got was 39cm and most were in high 20 low 30cms. Caught them on my abu garcia 1-3kg with shimano 1000 aernos (think thats how you spell the name of the reel) spooled with 3lb power pro and 8lb leader.

post-31713-1392006302051_thumb.jpgpost-31713-1392006318312_thumb.jpgpost-31713-13920063372473_thumb.jpg

Good times

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Scratchie, just about any river that flows into the hunter river will have bass. Someone reported bass in the barrington river the other day on fish raider and im pretty sure that flows to taree. The river I fished was also off the barrington tops but quite far up to my surprise.

And yes diesel, surface strikes are friggen awesome. You should try the tt spinners with your favourite plastic. I got probably 8 or so on the spinners. Just a slow wind and they smash them as they go through their patchpost-31713-13920331285379_thumb.jpg. Ypu can see one in this pic