morning bass

diesel

slept in this morn got to work about 8ish opened the gates to the site,Looked across the road and the river was calling me with the apprentice at tafe and the boss over seas what was stopping me. It was overcast and close to raining perfect, Walked down to the spot,surface action everywhere. Cicarda batwing straight on first cast bass around the 25s, walked down stream a bit (very quietly) looked down and saw a nice bass sitting under a log with his tail towards me.Flicked out the lure about 2meters in front of it as not to spook him,As the lure hit the water it took off like a flash DAM thought i spooked it didnt see where it went as it was to quick,Well before i could flick the bail i knew where he went straight to my lure, short tussle latter got this fella, post-10416-0-92191500-1392009228_thumb.jpgpost-10416-0-72187200-1392009266_thumb.jpgpost-10416-0-47689400-1392009296_thumb.jpgpost-10416-0-77270700-1392009328_thumb.jpg

ended up going 39 and a nice looking bass

That is a great river fish bud! Awesome form. I also noticed red spot on the tail too. Bit of a shame that but I am not surprised. The river used to be so much healthier but it seems like it has gone into a bit of a decline in quality over the last 10 to 15 years. I remember it being a fine waterway and swimming in it all the time. Not sure if I would these days. Good work mate.

Yeah mate it is quite nasty in its latter stages. If it is what I suspect it is called Epizootic Ulcerative Syndrome aka EUS. Here is a link from the DPI which has information on the disease and shows the progression of it.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/animal-health/wildfish-shellfish/red-spot

Edited by Trout Stalker

That red spot looks nothing like the ones in the dpi pictures, and there's next to none of it, I've caught bass with way worse looking lesions than that and they all fight hard and kick off when they get sent back. I fish the nepean river as well and you'll also come across a lot of fish with fin rot as well. Ive found they get these when there hasn't been rain for a while, increasing the water temps and reducing oxygen.

Definately don't put any bass you get with spots like the one you caught out of their misery mate

Edited by shred

I just sent off an email to the DPI with a copy of the picture provided. When they get back to me I will post their response here to clarify what it is.

To be honest my first response was a bit of a knee jerk reaction at what I suspected the issue was as it has a real bad outcome for the fish but on the other foot I wouldn't want you to kill the fish unnecessarily. They will know the issue for sure and will take all doubts away.

All bass i catch live to fight another day, They are a great fighting fish and a native,Have seen some weird ones come out the river though,dorsal fins missing and so forth,None with three eyes yet ,Have to agree with shed atm didnt look that bad well i hope not,thats the last thing the nepean needs

I received an email back from the DPI this morning, below is a copy of the email. Either way great fish Diesel. I am sure it put up a great fight. Well done bud.

Hi Luc,

Thank you for enquiring with us and sending along the photo. External sores on fish can be caused by many different things including abrasion, bacterial infection and fungal infections. There is no way to accurately diagnose a particular cause without submitting a properly preserved specimen to a certified laboratory for analysis. However, EUS is know to occur in the Hawkesbury Napean catchment so while we cannot confirm that is what you saw, it is possible.

Kind regards,

Kirk Dahle | Aquatic Biosecurity Officer
NSW Department of Primary Industries | Biosecurity NSW | Aquatic Biosecurity & Risk Management Unit
p: (02) 4916 3877 | e: aquatic.pests@dpi.nsw.gov.au | w: www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/biosecurity/aquatic